Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

epileptics no longer require supervision to cook…...

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Great.

Client migrated DLA to PIP and lost his care/daily living.

Cooking : PIP award stated “can use chopping and peeling aids to prepare veg safely, and can cook them in a microwave : 2 points : 1,c

Turned up at tribunal and they agreed 1,c is appropriate for a client who has fits with 0 warning.
First time ive had that : Clients have always scored 1,e for this in my experience.

Thoughts??

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

Was the need for supervision flagged up on the claim form?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Well I‘ve had 1f a few times. In one instance it was precipitated by the magnificent example of a claimant who had a seizure with no warning; grabbed for anything; got the microwave and brought that plus a fair few cookery books down on their head. Hardly a remote risk.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

If a conscious person spills or drops hot food on themselves, as long as it’s not scalding hot, it won’t burn you instantly and you can brush it away. If you spill food heated to 55-60° C and don’t do anything to remove it it will burn you badly.

I think there’s also a possible error of looking only at danger caused by the steps of cooking, rather than danger in general while cooking. CPIP/1671/2015

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 259

I’d agree with Mr Finch and so I would have a very close look at the statement of reasons and how the Tribunal justified their choice of descriptor.