to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Thoughts on mobility reduction

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

I’ve just spoken to a gentlemen that was awarded PIP mobility at the enhanced rate in 2015. He has a severe brain injury and the award was for mobility 1f. It appears that the DWP reassessed this in 2018 and reduced it to standard based upon a care needs assessment from the local authority and without inviting him to attend a new assessment. Has anyone else heard of a decision being changed in this way?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

I feel like there is more to this story?

Presumably your client was going through some sort of review process anyway, as otherwise he wouldn’t have sent them the care plan? And if that’s the case I wonder if it isn’t just that the HCP has advised on the basis of the papers that SRM and (I assume) ERDL should be awarded? They wouldn’t necessarily call the claimant in for an assessment if the outcome was clear from the papers.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Elliot Kent - 16 October 2019 05:57 PM

I feel like there is more to this story?

Presumably your client was going through some sort of review process anyway, as otherwise he wouldn’t have sent them the care plan? And if that’s the case I wonder if it isn’t just that the HCP has advised on the basis of the papers that SRM and (I assume) ERDL should be awarded? They wouldn’t necessarily call the claimant in for an assessment if the outcome was clear from the papers.

The problem is, it’s brain injury so his memory is impaired to a certain extent, but he was quite adamant that he hadn’t had any contact with the DWP and he didn’t send the care plan to them. Which is what concerned me. If true, it appears that the DWP, during the process of a review or not, obtained the care plan direct from the local authority (not from the client) and made a decision based upon the content.