Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Mixed age couple - protected?

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 226

Hi there,

I feel like I’ll be writing about mixed age couples on rightsnet till I’m 80.

Come across a couple who were receiving PC and HB. They went abroad for a holiday for 8 weeks (partly for the sun to make his health feel better, but nothing that can fit the extended rules I think). They came back, and told HB and PC. HB is in the process of being reassessed and I expect there to be a closed period overpayment and for entitlement to continue going forward.

On the basis that they’re still getting HB, I wanted to try and re-establish a new PC. PC are having none of it and not even allowing the claim to be lodged on the basis that they don’t meet absence rules of HB.

Does the absence kill this whole thing, even if HB is still in payment?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Unfortunately I think they are correct. See paragraph (2) here.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Send message

Quick sanity check in another case please anyone:

Mixed age couple where they were claiming PC and pensioner HB. They were mis-advised and claimed UC, with entitlement awarded. PC not stopped for whatever reason. They have now withdrawn their UC claim, but cannot make a fresh claim for HB, as the UC claim killed off their protection by ending their entitlement to HB, even though PC aren’t aware yet. Is that correct?

Thank you.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Rebecca Lough - 10 October 2019 04:40 PM

Quick sanity check in another case please anyone:

Mixed age couple where they were claiming PC and pensioner HB. They were mis-advised and claimed UC, with entitlement awarded. PC not stopped for whatever reason. They have now withdrawn their UC claim, but cannot make a fresh claim for HB, as the UC claim killed off their protection by ending their entitlement to HB, even though PC aren’t aware yet. Is that correct?

Thank you.

I think so Rebecca, to all intents and purposes they’re in the same boat as Maggie’s clients in this thread https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15103/

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Send message

Thanks Paul