Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

wrongly listed appeals - HMCTS in meltdown?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

UC WCA appeal - notified by HMCTS today that hearing on Mon postponed as it has been wrongly listed before an 01 (judge only) tribunal.

Guess what? It was postponed for the same reason back in July!

In our experience incorrect listing (along with many other admin errors) are increasing exponentially with Birmingham ASC particularly with UC appeals.

Apparently when UC appeals are registered at Bradford DLC because there is no DWP submission etc at that stage they do not know what type of case / tribunal to register the case as and incorrect registration is not picked up at a later stage (when DWP response provided) to ensure listing before the correct type of tribunal!

And another thing .......

Apparently work from Birmingham ASC has now been transferred to Bradford (we knew this was coming but no date given), but HMCTS haven’t even told their own staff who currently don’t know whether to contact Birmingham or Bradford (for which they have no internal contact details etc as yet!).

Is it just us?

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Not so much wrongly listed but I note there seems to have been a change in the reference numbering system to a 16 number format.

Looked gibberish on the first occasion but now I’ve two examples.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

John Birks - 04 October 2019 11:45 AM

Not so much wrongly listed but I note there seems to have been a change in the reference numbering system to a 16 number format.

I had one of those yesterday - I thought it was just some sort of formatting error but apparently not.

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 233

HMCTS admin in the North West seems to be going from bad to worse.  We’ve seen a number of data breaches.  It takes a long time for evidence to be added to the papers.  In the meantime, the contact centre tell you that it hasn’t been received.  When you ring the contact centre generally, they often can’t tell you very much and can do little to move things forward.  (I’m talking about unusual situations - not waiting for a hearing, which they obviously can’t do anything about.)

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Have just received a DWP PIP response which has a 16 digit ‘Appeal Tribunal Reference Number’. First one we have seen. I too thought it was DWP gibberish. I phoned HMCTS who gave me a standard ref number!

Maybe this is a new procedure between HMCTS & DWP when HMCTS initially forward the appeal and the usual ref No. is only used by HMCTS after receipt of the response? It was not an appeal made on-line.

Again it would be helpful if HMCTS advised of any change in procedures!

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 04 October 2019 02:05 PM

Have just received a DWP PIP response which has a 16 digit ‘Appeal Tribunal Reference Number’. First one we have seen. I too thought it was DWP gibberish. I phoned HMCTS who gave me a standard ref number!

Maybe this is a new procedure between HMCTS & DWP when HMCTS initially forward the appeal and the usual ref No. is only used by HMCTS after receipt of the response? It was not an appeal made on-line.

Again it would be helpful if HMCTS advised of any change in procedures!

Looks likely and Yes, definitely.

John Birks
forum member

Send message

Confirmed via helpline today

16digit code is not replacing the SC ref

There are IT problems

Appeals lodged aren’t yet on the system and do not have an SC ref as yet but can be found by NINO

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

That’s good to know John, thanks for doing the legwork. I wasn’t much looking forward to having to write those long strings of random digits on all my case files.