to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

DWP Complaints Address

Giles Elliott
forum member

benefitsowl.info, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 42

I’ve recently been trying to make a (number of!) complaints about the DWP, mostly in relation to how they have treated very vulnerable claimants. Online information supplied by the government variously tells you to write to the address on the letter to the claimant, or to their local JC+. Having sent tier one and tier two complaints to these addresses without any discernible effect, I sent two off to the Independent Case Examiner. They’ve written back explaining that i can’t approach them until I’ve exhausted the DWP’s internal procedures, but fortunately included in their letter the ‘official’ address for complaints, which is:
DWP Complaints
Post Handling Site B
Wolverhampton
WV99 2GY

Is it just me, or is there something a bit weird in only being given the address to complain at this stage? Or has anyone found this address hidden in plain sight on gov.uk somewhere?

(I will now write to the DWP *again*, at this new address, and write in big letters ‘Urgent - Please Process’ which seems to be the only way you can get the Wolverhampton office to do anything with what you send them…)

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

I think is still up to date

File Attachments

NAI
forum member

Unclaimed Benefits Campaign, Middlesbrough CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 131

We encounter problems with complaints often. Complaints are ignored and then there is nowhere to go.

It is also irritating that partnership managers have no access other than by email to other parts of the DWP such as those concerned with PIP, DLA, AA, CA or the Pensions Service.

Frankly, the response to complaints generally is very poor.

Where email addresses are available, these are unsuitable to use for complaints because sending personal and sensitive information that is not encrypted is not appropriate. We can, of course, send encrypted attachments (PDF files or Word documents) but without a telephone number or fax, we can only send the password by email which is also not acceptable.

The best way for the JCP complaints, for me, is to send the encrypted file to the partnership manager and then text him/her with the password (they have mobiles) to open it.

For PIP, DLA, AA, CA or the Pensions Service, it’s just non-digital by default and hope it doesn’t get lost in Wolverhampton.

It would be great if the issue of have effective complaints channels that catered for digital could be raised with stakeholders.

As for UC who knows? We go Full Service next Wednesday.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I have tended to use the DWP correspondence email address. Must annoy the heck out of them but it makes absolutely certain that your complaint is correctly directed from the off and gets dealt with precisely because it came from there.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

My use of it has never been queried and I always throw something in along the lines of it being helpful if they could help me avoid using that email address in future by giving me an address I could use. Never happens.

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Mr Birks!  You’ve not been reading your emails!

Up to date contact details for NW Complaints Team….

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Complaint Resolution Team| Department of Work and Pensions | North West England | I Edendale House I Lathom Road I Huyton I Liverpool | L36 9XS | 0151 676 9929

Giles Elliott
forum member

benefitsowl.info, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 42

Thanks John B and Robbo, both really useful.

But why are these things made so hard to find? It’s almost as if the DWP didn’t want to make it easy to complain…

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

Just to update, we’ve been told that the NW complaints team are being disbanded, and the work moving over to an office in Warrington.

Same email address should be OK for the moment.

Will there be an announcement?  All agog.

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

I suppose we’ve had a bit of Covid inbetween, but I emailed the complaints team above and it’s no longer a working address. 

I emailed .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), and got a fairly quick response, but this was from HULL. 

Have we lost our NW complaints team? 

Can’t believe we don’t make enough complaints to keep a team busy in these parts.  I’m always moaning about something.

Anyone know what’s happening?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Said email address goes via Whitehall who then ensure the correct direction of travel and appear to monitor speed of outcomes. Hull was presumably the correct destination for your issue?

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

We shall see…the email suggested Hull would be appropriate to deal with the ESA issue of the complaint, but I was complaining about UC as well - and if we haven’t got a general complaints team to deal with it, I’m not reassured that the substance of the complaint (failure of the two offices to communicate/establish sensible procedures) will be overlooked.