Self employed carer earnings query

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Hello,

Hopefully this is relatively straightforward –

Client is a carer claiming UC with Carer Element since around April 2019. She has a very small business she started in 2014 but has only been charging money for 2 years.

She delivers training. She does this with one other person. They charge around £250 for a session, this is then split between the two of them. I am not sure how much of this is profit after expenses etc. She is hoping to do this once a month and then in the future increase to once per week if the demand is there. Currently it is not regular, they have one done a few over the last year or so. She is worried about this impacting her UC and wants to know how it will do so before she goes ahead with expanding it.

Questions –

Am I right in thinking that because she is a carer, she does not need to worry about demonstrating she is ‘gainfully self-employed’ and also she will be exempt from the minimum income floor? 

Also no work allowance will apply I presume so am I right in thinking the only effect on her UC award will simply be the 63p taper applied on her earnings (minus expenses) which will be taken off her payments each assessment period?

Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything!

Thanks

Robert M Thompson
forum member

Info Point, Citizens Advice Portsmouth

Send message

Total Posts: 3

I believe your understanding is correct. The Minimum Income Floor should only apply if the claimant is subject to All Work-Related Requirements (ADM H4060). Work-Related Requirements cannot be imposed on someone who is caring for a severely disabled person (ADM J2051)

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Thanks Robert