to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Increased State pension and loss of passported benefits

vickyn
forum member

Caseworker, Gwynedd Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 9

With the increase in the State Retirement Pension to slightly above the level of Pension Credit for a single person, it seems to me that many people will miss out on other benefits such as funeral payments, cold weather payments, free tv licence (in the future), automatic warm home discount, automatic full HB and CTR with no savings limit….

I was wondering if anyone has done any research into the effects of this on people on this minimum level of income. 

Sorry of this has been discussed before, I only really started thinking about it with the fuss about the TV licence

Thanks

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

I’ve not done any research but as the amount of state pension is still less than the qualifying income for Housing Benefit, many of thee benefits will still be available to claimants as long as they have rent costs as qualifying for Housing Benefit is often an alternative to qualifying for Pension Credit.  Doesn’t help homeowners of course.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Done a big piece of modelling scenarios for this for a client.  They won’t let us share it sadly.