Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Relevance of UC LCWRA on a PIP Decision

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Citizens Advice Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 66

On page B (Appeal Response) Section 2: Facts of the case, there appears-

“C is entitled to UC”. Is it odd that the DM makes no reference to the ‘fact’ that C is treated as having LCWRA ?

Is this potentially a relevant consideration in preparing subs for a PIP appeal.

I’m inclined to think that ‘the reasons’ underpinning the award of the element could be relevant but I’m not sure, Is there any legislation or case law on this?

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Yes - KW sets out the position, albeit rather bluntly. See also MA v SSWP (PIP) [2017] UKUT 531 (AAC) which deals with the potential error of law by a Tribunal who does not call for the ESA evidence.

And also see CH & KN v SSWP (PIP) [2018] UKUT 330 (AAC) on the related issues arising seeking out and using DLA evidence in a transfer case.

zuvembe
forum member

PIP Department - DWP, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 2

As a writer of appeals ,, I can say that on a request from HMCTS, we now include the relevant ESA or UC 85 as evidence in the submission. Further to this, those assessments are forming part of the “empowerment” process when considering to lapse an appeal in favour of the claimant.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Interesting. Here in the North East region I have never seen these in appeal papers produced by the DWP unless there has been a direction to include them.  Do you know if this is specific to a particular region?

zuvembe
forum member

PIP Department - DWP, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 2

As far as I can make out,  it is across all areas. Having said that, there is a wide variance in adopting this approach, so one could say it is early days.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

I’ve just seen a PIP appeal submission from the DWP which says my client is in the Work Related Activity Group for UC (whatever that means). No further information. Client stopped work and applied for UC three months ago and has not had a WCA.

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Send message

zuvembe - 28 August 2019 11:52 AM

As a writer of appeals ,, I can say that on a request from HMCTS, we now include the relevant ESA or UC 85 as evidence in the submission. Further to this, those assessments are forming part of the “empowerment” process when considering to lapse an appeal in favour of the claimant.

Just out of curiosity, zuvembe, when was this ‘empowerment ’ process rolled out in Sefton?

WRT Case Worker
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 27 August 2019 08:13 AM

Yes - KW sets out the position, albeit rather bluntly. See also MA v SSWP (PIP) [2017] UKUT 531 (AAC) which deals with the potential error of law by a Tribunal who does not call for the ESA evidence.

And also see CH & KN v SSWP (PIP) [2018] UKUT 330 (AAC) on the related issues arising seeking out and using DLA evidence in a transfer case.

Thanks, Elliot, I’ll go with CH & KN as a primary.