Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

FOA DWP Spies and Snoops. FOLLOW YOUR OWN GUIDANCE FOR MRs!

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Getting sick of DWP refusing to accept mandatory recons on the phone.

I posted an MR 8 weeks ago : client called DWP for update and they said they didn’t get my letter
Advised she asks for MR verbally (as per instructions on CRMR1 form) but as usual they said ALL mandatory recons must be in writing and refused to do it on the phone….

They are posting her a CRMR1 form

Which will probably disappear down the same black hole my letter went to…..

DWP appear either intentionally obstructive or incompetent. Or both…..

Rant over.

gw
forum member

Glasgow West Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 285

always keep a copy and email to escalation team if they don’t receive original..

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

I’ve been told the opposite more than once - that a written MR cannot be taken because there is a special incantation which must be read out and agreed by the claimant so it must be done over the phone.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

How long has this been going on? Surely their staff must have all been fully instructed on the rules at least once, (if DWP assurances are to be believed).

In which case their continuing refusal to correctly deal with MRs looks deliberate, and possibly constitutes malfeasance.

This has been going on too long to be brushed off as a “training issue”.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Just one weary thought to add (think Peter from OWR originally flagged this up).

DWP have a term ‘whitemail’ we are frequently ringing up and chasing MR’s to be told they haven’t received anything.

After a bit of gentle persuading it turns up the MR has been put under ‘whitemail’  and they have received it etc etc etc.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 27 August 2019 12:56 PM

Just one weary thought to add (think Peter from OWR originally flagged this up).

DWP have a term ‘whitemail’ we are frequently ringing up and chasing MR’s to be told they haven’t received anything.

After a bit of gentle persuading it turns up the MR has been put under ‘whitemail’  and they have received it etc etc etc.

Did you mean https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14147/
Are we to take it that ‘whitemail’ is now DWP speak for ‘snailmail’?

forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 27 August 2019 03:58 PM
Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 27 August 2019 12:56 PM

Did you mean https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/14147/
Are we to take it that ‘whitemail’ is now DWP speak for ‘snailmail’?

Erm i did on errrrrrrr reflection. Some how i convinced myself it related to ESA and PIP. But anyway might have confused with a conversation with a DWP worker on the phone. Yeah ‘whitemail’ = ‘snailmail’.

Whatever I have retrospectively convinced myself, i can say with diminished authority that the last two sentences do represent our experience.

Which brings me back to UC, its supposed to be an automated whatever, but nothing can be uploaded?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 27 August 2019 05:25 PM

Which brings me back to UC, its supposed to be an automated whatever, but nothing can be uploaded?

The Goon Show frequently concluded with the announcer’s catch phrase “its all in [Neil Couling’s] mind you know”!

forum member

Send message

Peter Turville - 28 August 2019 09:09 AM
Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 27 August 2019 05:25 PM

The Goon Show frequently concluded with the announcer’s catch phrase “its all in [Neil Couling’s] mind you know”!

Talking of ‘minds’ and reliance on AI more on white mail in the links below.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/sorting_and_scanning_process_for

https://celaton.com/dwpwhitemail

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2019-06-20/267244/