Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Spotlights

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

In the deposited UC guidance such as:
http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0465/Home_visits__v6.0.pdf
http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0465/Assisted_Digital_v9.0.pdf
http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0465/Non_digital_relationships_v1.0.pdf

the reader is sometimes directed to see “spotlights” for more information. There is reference to a spotlight on ‘claims by phone’, one on ‘home visits’, and one on ‘Complex needs’.

These are apparently further snippets of guidance, pace Mr Neil Couling: “In addition, our staff have access to Spotlight products which highlight and focus on a particular area..”

There’s one on Post Office accounts supplied here in response to an FOI request:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/post_office_card_account_poca#incoming-1337179

but are they generally available anywhere?

[ Edited: 16 Jul 2019 at 05:10 pm by Jon (CANY) ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

They referred to Spotlights in the last session of our stakeholder meeting today - as I understood it they are internal guidance - so I guess you would need to do FOI request - but I can double check that

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Send message

Thanks for the replies, I thought this might be a job for FOI requests. That could get a bit tedious though, and you never know when the document may have been updated or superseded.

This was prompted by the widely varying responses we get when trying to claim UC by telephone. It would be helpful to know what guidance the staff might be looking at sometimes.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

I have emailed to ask if there is a reaason they are not in the public domain and if they could be put there…

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Send message

Thanks Daphne, just to quote your reply from here, DWP say:

Spotlight products are designed to support the service and policy level guidance for a short period. There are no plans to put Spotlights into the public domain at the present time.

If each spotlight is a fleeting resource that will soon be snuffed out into the void, then I can see that preserving them via FOI requests is probably of limited value.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Thanks Jon - forgot to update this one too :)

Stuart
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 890

Jon (CHDCA) - 04 June 2019 05:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, I thought this might be a job for FOI requests. That could get a bit tedious though, and you never know when the document may have been updated or superseded.

This was prompted by the widely varying responses we get when trying to claim UC by telephone. It would be helpful to know what guidance the staff might be looking at sometimes.

Couple of recent FOI responses on telephone claims - spotlight guidance on claims by phone (including that claimants will be allowed to make telpehone claims if they insist)...  the reply letter also sets out agent process that should be folowed….

Second one, as discussed in forum here, includes spotlight guidance on claimants no longer able to maintain claim online.

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 586

Here’s a few more

File Attachments

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

I’ve also been sent some spotlights which have been included in this thread already.  At least one of these seems to have been updated so I’m going to attach them all here

File Attachments

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

And finally, this one

And there’s also Spotlight on: Joint Tenancy Costs -Absent Joint Tenant (Untidy Tenancy) and unequal apportionment of rent

[ Edited: 8 Dec 2020 at 01:56 pm by Owen_Stevens ]

File Attachments

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

THere’s a few spotlights mixed in among other guidance here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/work_coach_guidance_and_spotligh#incoming-1716241

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Owen_Stevens
forum member