Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Client with SDP found fit for work - where next?

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 431

Hi peeps

Client has been on PIP SRDL and ESA (support group and EDP/SDP). He gets Housing Benefit.

He has now been found fit for work and has been told his ESA will stop.

Client does not think he will be able to manage on his PIP only whilst he waits for ESA appeal to be lodged and appeal rate payments to commence.

Previously when I’ve had client’s in this situation stating that they cannot afford a break in their income I’ve advised them that their only option was to claim UC.

But this is the first person I’ve had in this situation since the SDP migration regs were introduced. Given that client is still entitled to SDP in his HB doesn’t this mean that he is prevented from claiming UC…in which case his only option is the old route of claiming JSA, requesting extended period of sickness, and then going back onto ESA once the appeal is lodged?

Have I understood this correctly?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Yes - he can’t claim UC because of sdp gateway so can use the old school method and claim JSA during the MR period and then back on to ESA once appeal lodged if MR unsuccessful

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 431

Thanks Daphne!

Test - am I not entering enough characters

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

You can’t send a message that’s exactly the same as someone has previously sent - I must have been thanked previously ;)