to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DWP PIP MH and RJ reviews - negative decisions

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 229

The DWP seems to be making decisions in terms its PIP MH and RJ reviews by just looking at “looking at” the information it has on file relating to someone’s initial PIP decision.

If no extra award is made, it then writes with its “decision”, to say there is no evidence to change the original award.

The letter says that you do not need to contact the DWP unless you disagree with the decision but does not give a right of mandatory reconsideration the letter is for “information only”

Has anyone had any success in getting a MR and perhaps preceding to an appeal on behalf of such refused MH/RJ review clients?

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

I just checked a MH/RJ letter and it says it’s for information only but it also does say MR is an option. It has the normal ‘if you disagree with this decision…’ bit which mentions MR then appeal.

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 234

I’ve done a successful MR on one these decisions.  SR mob increased to ER when extra points for Planning and Following Journeys added.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Ken Butler - 15 July 2019 01:11 PM

The letter says that you do not need to contact the DWP unless you disagree with the decision but does not give a right of mandatory reconsideration the letter is for “information only”

The one I am looking at says that you don’t need to contact them “unless you disagree with our decision” and then sets out full MR/appeal rights in the usual way - as I think it ought to because it’s a refusal to supersede.