to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Changing password

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3128

Is it correct that there is no facility within UC to simply change your password and that the only way to do it is to click the “forgot my password” link?

AgeScotJo
forum member

Veterans' Project, Age Scotland, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Elliot Kent - 10 July 2019 07:01 PM

Is it correct that there is no facility within UC to simply change your password and that the only way to do it is to click the “forgot my password” link?

It does appear to be the case, and I’ve had a really good look.

There’s a ‘Guide’ section that has basic information about various UC topics, including ‘Your account’. I’ve attached a screenshot of the page, but it only tells you to keep the password safe, not what to do if you need to change it.

The links at the bottom of the section direct to: https://www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/

That website says “The routine changing of passwords is not recommended, unless the accounts to which they apply have been hacked, in which case they should be changed immediately. This also applies if another account or website for which you use the same login details have been hacked.”

Very helpful if the site that directs you to that advice doesn’t HAVE a ‘change password’ option.

Image Attachments

UC_1.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

AgeScotJo - 11 July 2019 09:43 AM

That website says “The routine changing of passwords is not recommended, unless the accounts to which they apply have been hacked, in which case they should be changed immediately. This also applies if another account or website for which you use the same login details have been hacked.”

and that is why so many workplace & other IT teams insist on one changing one’s password every few months…..even if nothing has been hacked.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

ClairemHodgson - 15 July 2019 09:42 AM
AgeScotJo - 11 July 2019 09:43 AM

and that is why so many workplace & other IT teams insist on one changing one’s password every few months…..even if nothing has been hacked.

Not quite as straightforward as most people claim. Changing passwords regularly is not the same thing as security.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/changing_passwo.html