to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Mixed age couple and LCW

SG LB C
forum member

Income Maximisation Team LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 46

A couple will have to claim UC when the younger partner gives up work to care for his 68 yr old partner.  The partner get a SRP and DLA HrM only (as an aside will look at that).

The amount of UC they will get is pitiful, but would increase if the older partner is deemed to have LCW and LCWRA.

However it is really the case that the 68yr old is going to have to get a fit note from the GP to evidence she cant work and then go through the WCA? What would happen if she were found fit for work? Could she be found fit for work and then have a work requirement, when she is well over her SRP age?  I understand that a person over SRP age with HR DLA would be given LCWRA without an assessment, but she doesnt get that.

I can’t seem to find anything on this. Please could anyone shed any light on this

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

That seems to be the case at the moment, insofar as the older partner needing to undergo the WCA in order to establish entitlement to the LCWRA element if they don’t get a qualifying benefit (DLA HRC, PIP EDL, AA).

Regardless of the outcome of the WCA, they cannot be placed under any sort of conditionality however.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Also, the DLA she already gets is enough for her to be treated as having LCW. Although that doesn’t give her an LCW element nowadays, it does increase the work allowance.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Charles - 21 June 2019 10:01 AM

Also, the DLA she already gets is enough for her to be treated as having LCW. Although that doesn’t give her an LCW element nowadays, it does increase the work allowance.

But that will be of no help in a household with no earned income - older partner gets SRP and younger partner giving up work in order to care.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Yeah, that’s true.

SG LB C
forum member

Income Maximisation Team LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 46

Thanks all.  That’s interesting that the person of SRP age still has to go through the WCA. (When I say interesting” I mean senseless)