Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP home assessment refused

Cinimod
forum member

Newham Housing First Worker

Send message

Total Posts: 17

Hi all,
Does anyone have any guidance or advice around requesting a home medical for a PIP assessment?
My client was due to attend a PIP assessment this morning but was too unwell to attend. When we called ATOS to inform and request a home visit (she has serious mobility and mental health issue’s) I was informed a home visit would not be possible, as they had information she was violent and aggressive-which couldn’t be further from the truth. I intend to write and complain and at the same time insist they offer a home medical, citing her extensive medical issues. Advice warmly welcomed.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1011

Cinimod - 05 June 2019 01:08 PM

Hi all,
Does anyone have any guidance or advice around requesting a home medical for a PIP assessment?
My client was due to attend a PIP assessment this morning but was too unwell to attend. When we called ATOS to inform and request a home visit (she has serious mobility and mental health issue’s) I was informed a home visit would not be possible, as they had information she was violent and aggressive-which couldn’t be further from the truth. I intend to write and complain and at the same time insist they offer a home medical, citing her extensive medical issues. Advice warmly welcomed.

Is there are case for arguing for a paper-based assessment to PIP customer services i.e. is their tangible evidence you could use for arguing e.g. client has an arguable case for such and such award of the DL and Mob components on the basis of scoring such and such points for such and such descriptors? In lieu of a home visit. I know its not the area you asked, but just a thought?

forum member

Send message

forum member

Send message

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/456953/response/1109139/attach/3/FOI 162 Le n Alvarez.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

See link above to FOI with a further link to an older version of the above PIP Assessment guide re home visits.

Cinimod
forum member

Newham Housing First Worker

Send message

Total Posts: 17

Thanks Andy,
I’ll have a look at those links tomorrow morning.
But, l do like your first suggestion, that could work, as there is quite a lot of medical history and paperwork as proof.
Using the descriptors from the PIP info at the bottom of the page will build the case using your suggestion-great, cheers!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I’ve read on one forum haunted by claimants that there’s an issue with a previous HCP taking exception to being verbally challenged and erroneously recording the claimant as potentially violent.

That aside, I always suggest that there’s no point in requesting a HV unless it’s done explicitly as a request for a reasonable adjustment under EA 10. That puts the assessment provider right on the spot as any refusal has to then be couched in terms of the small number of legitimate reasons for refusal of an RA and of course in most cases the AP can’t do that. Generally, they’ll either do the HV or mysteriously find reasons to suddenly do a paper assessment and find points so it all goes away.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 627

Mike Hughes - 05 June 2019 05:31 PM

I’ve read on one forum haunted by claimants that there’s an issue with a previous HCP taking exception to being verbally challenged and erroneously recording the claimant as potentially violent.

That aside, I always suggest that there’s no point in requesting a HV unless it’s done explicitly as a request for a reasonable adjustment under EA 10. That puts the assessment provider right on the spot as any refusal has to then be couched in terms of the small number of legitimate reasons for refusal of an RA and of course in most cases the AP can’t do that. Generally, they’ll either do the HV or mysteriously find reasons to suddenly do a paper assessment and find points so it all goes away.

With you on this, Mike. I have found this to be an effective approach. The Equalities Act 2010 seems to be the “big stick” and usually provokes the desired effect.

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 234

I’ve also had a client (with agoraphobia) refused a Home Visit for PIP on the grounds that he was aggressive when they tried to visit.  The client disputes this.  Even after making a Subject Access Request we were unable to find out what the substance of the allegation was.  But they did a paper-based assessment in the end.

All a bit convenient.  ATOS would have been happy for him to come into an assessment centre however.

Brian Fletcher
forum member

Welfare Rights, Wigan & Leigh Carers Centre, Wigan

Send message

Total Posts: 101

Mike Hughes - 05 June 2019 05:31 PM

As you know Mike - this is one of those areas where I like to challenge them.

Interesting comment I’ve picked up on in the SoS’s response after my Grounds of Appeal cited them for failing in their (anticipatory) duty to make a reasonable adjustment.

to quote;

“The Tribunal are respectfully requested to note that the medical assessments are completed by Health Professionals employed by assessment providers who are an independent organisation. We cannot change their policies or procedures”

I’m going to have all sorts of fun with that comment

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Nail on head Brian. “Anticipatory duty”. Claimants contact an assessment provider and ask for a HV. They simply should not have to couch that request in terms of EA 10 and RAs.

helendmhf
forum member

Advocacy, Dorset Mental Health forum

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Just a quick follow up query to those below.
I’ve just been contacted by the sister of my client to say that he has been asked to attend a PIP assessment (he is being migrated from HR DLA so being reassessed under PIP). She is seriously worried about his mental health. Since notification of the assessment he has been phoning the Crisis Team daily, has taken an overdose in the recent past (I don’t think in connection with the assessment) and is now threatening to overdose again.

I will suggest she asks for a paper based assessment using the EA but wondered who she asks about this, is it the DWP or the assessment provider?

Thanks

forum member

Send message

helendmhf - 28 June 2019 11:13 AM

Just a quick follow up query to those below.
I’ve just been contacted by the sister of my client to say that he has been asked to attend a PIP assessment (he is being migrated from HR DLA so being reassessed under PIP). She is seriously worried about his mental health. Since notification of the assessment he has been phoning the Crisis Team daily, has taken an overdose in the recent past (I don’t think in connection with the assessment) and is now threatening to overdose again.

I will suggest she asks for a paper based assessment using the EA but wondered who she asks about this, is it the DWP or the assessment provider?

Thanks

Hi Helen

It would be ATOS. Problem is there is no longer an available email to ATOS as there once was.

However, i’ve sent you a Rightsnet message (you’ll have to login to access it) with a suggestion specific to West Dorset welfs which gets quick responses. Because i don’t have your email. 

Best wishes

Andy