to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Will Stay in Rehab Affect Benefits?

DDP
forum member

The Terrence Higgins Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 102

My client is going into drug rehab for a few months and wanted to know if this will affect his benefits? He is not sure exactly for how long yet, but it is going to be for quite a while, highly likely over six months.

The rehab is definitely funded by the Local Authority and is not a registered care home. It is a rehabilitation treatment centre with 24-hour non-medical staffing.

Will he lose any part of his benefits if he goes into rehab?  He is currently on ESA Support Group and is in receipt of help with housing costs as a leaseholder (he says service charges).  He is also in receipt of Mortgage Support as a loan with DWP making direct payments to his mortgage lender to cover part of his mortgage interest. He also receives PIP enhanced daily living and as a result receives the severe disability premium as part of his ESA.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Barbara

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Where we place people in rehab I expect the DLA to stop after 28 days as if they’re in res care; who’s paying for it is an important part of that equation and rehab would be funded from the same budget as res care.

I’ll look up the mortgage support in a bit if noone else knows off the top of their head.

DDP
forum member

Send message

Thanks Dan for responding to my query.

I don’t understand your answer.  Are you saying that it does not matter that the local authority is paying for his rehab, it will still affect his PIP and his other benefits and these will stop after 28 days?

As I said he is currently receiving PIP enhanced DL, ESA SG and is in receipt of help with housing costs as a leaseholder (service charges), Mortgage Support as a loan with DWP making direct payments to his mortgage lender to cover part of his mortgage interest and SDP as part of his ESA.

I will really appreciate any help you can provide as my client is quite desperate because he is due to go into rehab and he has to make a decision.  Thanks for all your help.

Barbara

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

DDP - 16 May 2019 10:54 AM

Thanks Dan for responding to my query.

I don’t understand your answer.  Are you saying that it does not matter that the local authority is paying for his rehab, it will still affect his PIP and his other benefits and these will stop after 28 days?

As I said he is currently receiving PIP enhanced DL, ESA SG and is in receipt of help with housing costs as a leaseholder (service charges), Mortgage Support as a loan with DWP making direct payments to his mortgage lender to cover part of his mortgage interest and SDP as part of his ESA.

I will really appreciate any help you can provide as my client is quite desperate because he is due to go into rehab and he has to make a decision.  Thanks for all your help.

Barbara

Yes his PIP should stop after 28 days. The SDP will also stop. The mortgage interest loan/housing costs element can continue for up to 26 weeks where he is temporarily absent.

DDP
forum member

Send message

Thank you very much Dan for this information.  I will pass it to my client so that he can make a decision about what he wants to do.

Best regards.
Barbara