to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

New claim by existing appointee

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Does anyone have any updates on this? I know UC have been saying they don’t recognise an existing appointment.

I was told by a member of our local DWP visiting team that the easiest way to deal with this is for the appointee to ring the Helpline and request a visit to set up the appointment for UC and do the claim at the same time. Which seems clunky and time consuming.

We have a locally agreed process for claims by corporate appointees but this is a personal appointee.

Anyone experience of an appointee just making the online claim and using the journal to explain they are appointee and using the ID interview to set up the appointment for UC?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

Perhaps not exactly the same issue, but I have just submitted a UC claim with an request to be the appointee despite the claimant already having a different appointee for PIP (under the same C&P Regs).  PIP appointee didn’t fancy looking after an online account! I found it trouble free and simple. DWP have been very good so far, eg scheduling appointments around my work commitments. Maybe they could feature me in one of their videos! Having said that, this is a person who quite plainly will have LCWRA and should be as easy as it gets for them to assess.

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

That’s useful to know, thank you

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Just had this through via the stakeholder forum this morning if it’s any help - an update from our last meeting -

Where existing corporate appointees need to make a claim on behalf of a claimant the claim can be progressed with no requirement to re- verify appointee details. Their details exist on CIS and no visits are required. We do though still need to complete all the required verification for the claimant. Where corporate appointee details are not held on CIS we confirm the appointee as usual.

Individual appointees – checks aren’t routinely carried out on CIS for appointee details unless the claimant / appointee informs us. However, when a legacy claim is closed, the system automatically sends claim closure letters to the appointee. If the appointee is still appropriate, they may contact DWP regarding that fact.

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

Thanks Daphne - it is useful to know that re corporate appointees, we had to complete a new BF56 for the first corporate appointee UC claimant..

In this case the individual appointment is for PIP so will not get any claim closure letters.

I do wonder what is happening to all those out there who do not have access to this sort of advice and info.