Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

LCW/LCW&WRA; element when someone is working on UC.

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Hi all,

Just a quick question. Scenario is-

Client is working 16 hours a week, is on Universal Credit- tries to complete a WCA with a fit note as she has a disability and wants to be considered for the extra sickness elements of UC. Told by DWP decision maker that as she is working she does not have LCW/LCW&WRA;. Is this right?

Just want to get some clarity around this. I understand there is no permitted work on UC. I am thinking in a scenario in which someone is already on the LCW/LCW &WRA; of UC it may be looked on more differently if they then try to work 16 hours? As I know in theory that they could have the sickness element and do some work- but what about in practise?

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

The UC Regs provide that someone who is already earning 16 x NMW or above cannot be assessed as LCW/LCWRA unless they are automatically entitled or get DLA/PIP/AA.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

ub40worker - 15 May 2019 11:36 AM

Just want to get some clarity around this. I understand there is no permitted work on UC. I am thinking in a scenario in which someone is already on the LCW/LCW &WRA; of UC it may be looked on more differently if they then try to work 16 hours? As I know in theory that they could have the sickness element and do some work- but what about in practise?

You are correct about this. If they have already been assessed for UC or ESA as having LCW/LCWRA, then that continues even if they start working. However, there is a good chance they’ll send her to be reassessed if she starts work.

ub40worker
forum member

Send message

Thanks Income Max and Charles. Very helpful.

ub40worker
forum member

Send message

Income Max - 15 May 2019 11:55 AM

The UC Regs provide that someone who is already earning 16 x NMW or above cannot be assessed as LCW/LCWRA unless they are automatically entitled or get DLA/PIP/AA.

Quick question sorry on outreach atm. Do you know what UC reg that is?

Ta.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

ub40worker
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 15 May 2019 02:01 PM

Reg 41(2) UC Regs 2013 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/regulation/41

Thanks Daphne.