Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Conditionality and sanctions  →  Thread

Student Without Parental Support Looking for Work in Summer Holidays

NeverSayNo
forum member

Welfare rights department - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 195

Driving me mad….

Student aged 18 in full time education who is on UC as a young person without parental support.

For some reason local job centre kept asking him to come in and look for work until we pointed out he has no work requirements given his education and no parental support.

They have now accepted this but stated that in June they will ring him and put him under the labour market regime during the summer holidays. I understand he will continue in education for at least another year.

IF they mean make him look for work during the holidays then is this right? I cannot find such in CPAG Handbook

Many thanks.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Unfortunately, this is correct.
A student is normally in the no work-related requirements group by virtue of reg. 89(1)(e) of the UC Regs. However, this is only if they have student income included in the UC award calculation.
Reg. 68(1)(c) excludes student income from being included during the summer holidays.

This is mentioned in the full-service guidance here (first paragraph on page 3).

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Charles - 17 April 2019 02:36 AM

Unfortunately, this is correct.
A student is normally in the no work-related requirements group by virtue of reg. 89(1)(e) of the UC Regs. However, this is only if they have student income included in the UC award calculation.
Reg. 68(1)(c) excludes student income from being included during the summer holidays.

This is mentioned in the full-service guidance here (first paragraph on page 3).

reads to me like he’s at school, rather than university - if he was in uni he wouldn’t be on UC at all due to loans etc. surely.

NeverSayNo
forum member

Welfare rights department - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 195

Thank you both.

I hadn’t clarified but he is not at uni. This is a 2yr course at below “A” level so should be classed as non-advanced education. My re-reading of CPAG indicates to me that for the duration of the course he is in education - and so has no work-related requirements. But it doesnt say this specifically in my reckoning.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

Yes, I don’t know why I assumed it was advanced education.

The regs are clear that for the duration of a course of non-advanced education no work-related conditions apply. See regs. 13(1)(a), 14(a) and 89(1)(e)(i).

The jobcentre probably either think the course finishes this year or are applying the rule for someone in advanced education with a student loan.