to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

ILR in an expired passport- rejected by JC+ during HRT interview

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

Client’s ILR evidence was rejected by the JC+ because the stamp was in an expired passport. I know it is incorrect for the JC+ to refuse to accept it but I am going bonkers trying to find the guidance. I’ve seen it somewhere on .GOV and now I cannot find it. HELP, please.

Mark Willis
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 145

Hi Jo

This might have been it - although only specifically relates to Commonwealth citizens, it sounds like the hostile environment is still in effect for your client.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/710926/m-08-18.pdf

9 Supporting evidence of nationality and residence could include
1. current passport OR most recent passport (including expired passports) where there is a reason that a current passport is not available
11 Where the evidence of nationality and status provided to and held by DWP and the Home Office indicates that the balance of probabilities is that the claimant is likely to have legal and habitual residence, the DM may determine that the claimant is eligible to claim JSA, ESA, IS or SPC. The claim can go forward to be assessed for benefit entitlement.

Mark

Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

That’s helpful, thank you, but actually I have seen a document pertaining specifically to UC

Apologies, did not include it in the original post.

Jo

[ Edited: 9 Apr 2019 at 04:10 pm by Jo_Smith ]
Mark Willis
forum member

Send message

Jo_Smith
forum member

Send message

Thanks Mark, that’s perfect, he is a a Commonwealth citizen, so that’s perfect.

Mark Willis
forum member

Send message

Those memos had vanished and no mention of Windrush or Commonwealth in ADM or DMG - now available here:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dwp_memos_2018?nocache=incoming-1826461#incoming-1826461