Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Verification of med 3s

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

This has been bugging me.

UC claimants need to provide their med3s for verification by the Jobcentre but NSESA claimant’s don’t.

Another way of othering UC claimant’s maybe?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

So you can’t upload them online for UC Dan? - I see the gov.uk page does only say for the ESA claim - I can query that via stakeholders…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 04 April 2019 02:02 PM

So you can’t upload them online for UC Dan? - I see the gov.uk page does only say for the ESA claim - I can query that via stakeholders…

Yes. For UC you put the dates into the journal, click thorugh and it asks for the details of the doctor that provided the cert, then you have to take the note to JCP for them to verify it.

For NSESA you just upload it and have done with it.

Discriminatory to my mind.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

you’ve got to love the way they want everything electronic/online - except useful things like uploading documents if you actually can….

tongue firmly in cheek, of course…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

I think my point is that they don’t trust UC claimants not to forge med3s but they do NSESA claimants. I wonder, if it’s a dual claim; UC plus NSESA, they claimant verifies through UC or through NSESA

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

But irESA claimants are able to upload med3 certs online aren’t they?

unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 447

Dan Manville - 05 April 2019 10:45 AM

I think my point is that they don’t trust UC claimants not to forge med3s but they do NSESA claimants. I wonder, if it’s a dual claim; UC plus NSESA, they claimant verifies through UC or through NSESA

For dual claims, our local Jobcentre Plus has told us to take the fit note in to the Jobcentre for the UC part AND upload the fit note for the NSESA part

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Reply via stakeholders forum -

‘... the issue of uploading medical evidence is one of the features being considered but there is no firm date yet on when this will become a workable feature on the Service. We will be out to let you know as soon as there’s any news.’

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Bump

I’ve just thought that there’s probably an article 14 issue built into this.

The way you report the med3 on the journal demands that you enter an start date and end date. Hospital inpatients often get med10s that; especially in a mental health setting, are “UFN”... Until Further Notice. They can’t be reported on the journal and we’ve tried emailing them and posting them in but they76 never get acknowledged on the journal.

Using the same system as NSESA where you just scan it would solve it.

Hospital inpatients are plainly an article 14 category.

If anyone thinks this is actionable, we see a lot of this as we’ve an inpatient inreach service, you’ve probably got my number already but if not inbox me.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Dan Manville - 24 April 2019 05:12 PM

Bump

The way you report the med3 on the journal demands that you enter an start date and end date. Hospital inpatients often get med10s that; especially in a mental health setting, are “UFN”... Until Further Notice. They can’t be reported on the journal and we’ve tried emailing them and posting them in but they never get acknowledged on the journal.

that’s just bizarre.  many people can end up in long term hospital with serious things wrong….

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Bump

The way you report the med3 on the journal demands that you enter an start date and end date. Hospital inpatients often get med10s that; especially in a mental health setting, are “UFN”... Until Further Notice. They can’t be reported on the journal and we’ve tried emailing them and posting them in but they76 never get acknowledged on the journal.

If anyone thinks this is actionable, we see a lot of this as we’ve an inpatient inreach service, you’ve probably got my number already but if not inbox me.

You could contact CPAG or Leigh Day maybe Dan?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 25 April 2019 09:00 AM

You could contact CPAG or Leigh Day maybe Dan?

Advice I’ve already had suggests that the interminable efforts we have to make to get the Work Coach to pay attention to our yelling “THEY’RE IN HOSPITAL” mitigate any detriment to the claimant that might lead to an action, sadly.

The whole process is dubious but finding someone, or an agency, with enough of an interest and enough of a motive, to do something about it is proving to be a struggle.

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Bump

I used to work in a mental health hospital myself and the crazy thing was that the Med 10s were acceptable by ESA with no problem at all. UC was a different kettle of fish. One job coach told me that the Med 10 was not a fit note as it didn’t show the patients condition.