Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

PIP tribunal decision set aside - tactics? Anything I’m missing?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1124

Client awarded PIP enhanced rate daily living and standard rate mobility. Applies for supersession 27/11/2017. DWP decision 6/4/2018 reducing entitlement to standard rate both components. Client appeals. Hearing 24/11/2018 - client warned and hearing adjourned.

At this point referred to us. My assessment is that a) existing award is safe b) there is a very strong case for ERDL and SRM and c) an arguable case for enhanced rate both components. So I take it on.

Hearing 26/3/2019. Both components removed from that date.

I am not going to get into it on here in respect of the hearing itself, but this is a straightforward set aside isn’t it? Would you even bother with a statement of reasons request? I suppose my concern is that I do not want to give opportunity for the judge to say the date was a slip…..

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Removed?

Why a set aside?

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

Yes it appears wrong. R(IB) 2/04 says that a tribunal’s decision to reduce an award takes effect from the date of the Secretary of State’s decision, not its own decision. But I wonder if they will set aside where the mistake is one too favourable to the claimant?

More generally, I imagine it must be quite hard to adequately give reasons for reducing daily living, as even if the tribunal has doubts about two of the points awarded there could be a large number of points not awarded that it would need to also look at, to ensure they didn’t apply instead.

past caring
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 02 April 2019 11:11 AM

Removed?

Why a set aside?

Well the decision is one (unless I am badly mistaken) the tribunal simply had no power to make. It could have;

- allowed appeal and increased award from date of application for supersession (or possibly earlier) - 27/11/2017

- set aside the DWP’s supersession decision and confirmed the award that was existent prior to the 6/4/2018 decision (i.e. ERDL/SRM)

- confirmed the 6/4/2018 decision (i.e. SRDL/SRM)

- removed either or both components from 6/4/2018 (or possibly earlier)

But it cannot remove entitlement from the 26/3/2019 hearing date (i.e. from nearly a year after the date of the decision under appeal).

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

I would like to know what the Tribunal thought it was doing and why before requesting set aside/PTA so would get the SOR first.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

past caring - 02 April 2019 12:43 PM
Mike Hughes - 02 April 2019 11:11 AM

Removed?

Why a set aside?

Well the decision is one (unless I am badly mistaken) the tribunal simply had no power to make. It could have;

- allowed appeal and increased award from date of application for supersession (or possibly earlier) - 27/11/2017

- set aside the DWP’s supersession decision and confirmed the award that was existent prior to the 6/4/2018 decision (i.e. ERDL/SRM)

- confirmed the 6/4/2018 decision (i.e. SRDL/SRM)

- removed either or both components from 6/4/2018 (or possibly earlier)

But it cannot remove entitlement from the 26/3/2019 hearing date (i.e. from nearly a year after the date of the decision under appeal).

Cheers. My brain wasn’t quite in sync.

I’d be looking for an SOR/ROP to begin with but there’s no reason that can’t run in parallel with a set aside application, putting aside HMCTS inevitable reluctance to do so.

past caring
forum member

Send message

Well yes, I do not doubt that I will be able to identify material errors. And I don’t want to risk a ‘correction’......

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I agree with Mike.  In circumstances such as these I ask, in the same letter, for the decision of the tribunal to be set aside, and then request, that if they are unable to set aside, that a SoR and RoP are issued.