Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA- gets a job, unable to carry on reclaim ESA within 12 weeks still possible?

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice. I have a client who is thinking of trying work again. However if it gets too much he wants to go back onto ESA and not UC. I was under the impression that he could come back onto ESA within 12 weeks- through a sort of rapid reclaim? Is this still possible- or would he now have to go back onto UC- I have also been unable to find any sources or regs to back up my feeling around the 12 weeks.

Ta

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

Unfortunately, despite the linking rules, a fresh claim is still necessary, so he would not be able to go back on to ESA.

ub40worker
forum member

Send message

Charles - 19 March 2019 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, despite the linking rules, a fresh claim is still necessary, so he would not be able to go back on to ESA.

Thanks Charles.

Is that because it is like a change in circumstances from sick to work to sick again(if that makes sense) so linking rules wouldn’t apply because of that?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1417

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but to be clear:

No change of circumstance in itself causes migration to UC. Rather, no new claim for a legacy benefit can be made (with limited exceptions).
Obviously, many changes of circs end entitlement to one legacy benefit, necessitating a claim for a different benefit, effectively forcing people to migrate to UC.

The linking rules of ESA do not allow (and have never allowed) ESA entitlement to restart without a fresh claim. Therefore, your client will not be able to return to ESA.

[ Edited: 19 Mar 2019 at 05:12 pm by Charles ]
ub40worker
forum member

Send message

Thanks Charles. Appreciate that!

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

I think the 12 week rules links the periods of Limited Capability for Work rather than the ESA claims themselves..

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 486

what about permitted work - a lot less risky