to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

When does a claim actually close?

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

If earnings tip over the UC allowance plus whatever elements are added, nilling out the award, how long until the claim is closed? I have a client who had a claim closed in February on his journal but the closure applied from October 2018. Is this normal? Is there a set amount of time or can a claim lie ‘dormant’ in case income fluctuates and dips under again?

Thanks!

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

My understanding is that the claim is supposed to close as soon as there is a nil assessment period but that the journal remains accessible for 6 months. During this time a claimant can reactivate the claim through the journal. A rapid reclaim this way maintains the same assessment periods as before. After 6 months of inactivity the journal is closed and a new UC claim would be required in full if necessary. This will have assessment periods based on the date of the new claim.

Having said there seems to be lots of evidence that is not what is actually happening in practice.

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 61

Can anyone advise where abouts in the journal you make the rapid reclaim? I have a community patient whose final pay from work exceeded her UC but I don’t know how to advise her over the phone where to look on her UC account.

Many thanks

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

This is what the landlord engagement letter Oct 2018 says (under 3.3 repeat claims) -

Claimants are notified through their journal that they have a nil award and informs them of the option to make a new claim.

The journal will display a new screen that tells the claimant their claim is closed and includes a button to make a new claim.

When a claimant clicks the button to make a new claim it will play back their circumstances so that they do not need to enter details unless there is a change of circumstances. A claimant is unlikely to need to come into the jobcentre as ID should already have been accepted.

A face to face meeting may be required for a claimant commitment but depending on their conditionality group this may not be necessary.

When a claimant makes a new claim within six months of a claim closing they retain the same Assessment Period (AP) as for the previous claim and the claim will be paid from the AP date in which they reapply.

Don’t know if this helps - I haven’t seen it in practice…

JAS1
forum member

Advice Worker, Gaddum Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 367

Thanks all for the clarification

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 61

Thanks Daphne.