to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Had R2R for legacy - naturally migrated - refused R2R under UC

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

I’m sure many advisers are seeing similar cases. Interesting discussion with UC appeal officer today.

We are seeing an ever increasing number of clients who were receiving legacy benefits for which their right to reside had been accepted by the DWP often some years ago. They are forced to naturally migrate (usually because they have been found fit for work or moved across a HB LA boundary).

On claiming UC they are refused as DWP determine they don’t have a R2R.

Received a call from a UC appeal writer today (Yes, DWP being proactive!). Client had come to UK in 2005. Has some work history and claimed ESA in 2016 and was awarded ESA(C) & (IB). Clearly R2R was accepted for ESA purposes. Fails WCA and claims UC and R2R refused and now at appeal stage.

DWP say although they are aware of previous R2R determination for ESA they are unable to access the reasons (specific provision within I(EEA)Regs) why R2R was accepted. This is because all paper records are destroyed after 14 months and the IT system rarely records sufficient details of the decision. So UC are required to re-determine the R2R and require claimants to provide all of the evidence previously provided for the previous determination.

We are seeing UC R2R appeal submissions where DWP provide a screen print of the legacy benefit claim which clearly shows R2R was accepted (but not the reasons) but argue the claimant must again provide the evidence for UC purposes because R2R must be re-determined on a claim for UC.

Of course many claimants have not retained the original evidence / decision notice so are unable to provide any/all of it to UC.

So it appears that because DWP to not retain full details of the reasons for a R2R decision for legacy benefits and are refusing R2R as a result (refusing to accept claimant has R2R under any criteria if the specific criteria within the regs has not been retained).

Fortunately in this particular case the client has retained the detailed ESA R2R determination letter from 2017. We wait to see if DWP will now revise the decision under appeal.

Not forgetting https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/13946/

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

This appears to be routine to refuse EEA who claim UC on grounds of R2R examples couple with both working, temporarily stopped work few weeks ago, children in education who started this when they were working etc etc. Result families with very young children with no means of support and action to evict them. AST the moment this EEA discrimination is flying under the radar

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3546

Not forgetting https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/13946/

Thanks Peter - duly noted. ikbikb do send me any case studies that you feel might be helpful for work and pensions committee report…

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

The Minister for Employment, Alok Sharma’s response:

File Attachments

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2901

All very interesting and perfectly correct as far as it goes … but at the end of the letter you are left thinking: “go on then - why didn’t the second DM think the claimant had a permanent right to reside?  You have done a nice job of explaining why the second DM has to make his/her own decision but we are none the wiser about how they reached it”

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

HB Anorak - 28 January 2019 02:02 PM

All very interesting and perfectly correct as far as it goes … but at the end of the letter you are left thinking: “go on then - why didn’t the second DM think the claimant had a permanent right to reside?  You have done a nice job of explaining why the second DM has to make his/her own decision but we are none the wiser about how they reached it”

To which the answer in reality probably goes something like: the claimant did not retain / submit all of the evidence used for the legacy determination, the UC DM cannot access the old legacy records of the previous determination(s) and the quality of R2R decision making under UC is even worse that it was under legacy.

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Very interesting case Peter.

Does anyone know what would happen if someone in that situation had claimed ESA but was knocked back on 2nd ESA claim when the initial claim had her RTR and being previously transitionally protected from incapacity benefit?

I had an Italian national who tried to reclaim ESA but was denied on RTR but now have an appeal going through tribunal on original ESA decision. Does anyone think this has legs?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if so but are you are referring to the Transitional Protection rules that allowed people on Income Support to migrate on to IR ESA without a R2R?

If so, this would have meant that your client would not have needed a R2R for the first ESA claim - SI 1907/2010, SI 2430/2010, SI 2425/2011

My experience of this is not uptodate but certainly previously a second ESA claim could be linked to the first period of LCW (maintaining the exemption from the R2R requirement) if it came within the 12 weeks linking rules. If not, I think that the TP exempting them from the R2R was broken. Therefore a claimant would need to meet the ordinary R2R rules for the second IR ESA claim unless made within 12 weeks of the first one ending.

This exemption from the R2R requirement does not apply to UC.

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

BC Welfare Rights - 28 January 2019 04:28 PM

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, apologies if so but are you are referring to the Transitional Protection rules that allowed people on Income Support to migrate on to IR ESA without a R2R?

If so, this would have meant that your client would not have needed a R2R for the first ESA claim - SI 1907/2010, SI 2430/2010, SI 2425/2011

My experience of this is not uptodate but certainly previously a second ESA claim could be linked to the first period of LCW (maintaining the exemption from the R2R requirement) if it came within the 12 weeks linking rules. If not, I think that the TP exempting them from the R2R was broken. Therefore a claimant would need to meet the ordinary R2R rules for the second IR ESA claim unless made within 12 weeks of the first one ending.

This exemption from the R2R requirement does not apply to UC.

Thanks mate!

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

I’ve come across a couple of these cases in the past week.

This morning’s was particularly galling; clt has been refused UC as an EU national with no right to reside. The client actually had the same issue with JSA back in 2016; appealed and a Tribunal decided clt had a permanent right to reside after 5 yrs continuous legal residence. Tribunal decision submitted as part of HRT in recent UC claim.

The MR notice (which incidentally is appalling - no notification date, no identifying info, name, NINO etc. no right of appeal mentioned…) specifically references the Tribunal’s decision of 2016 but in the next sentence states no evidence has been provided.

I appreciate the Department must satisfy themselves that there is a right to reside and in this case specifically; that the permanent right has not been lost in the intervening years, but a bit of pragmatism is desperately needed.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Another MR decision EEA Worker’s work not genuine and effective as has not shown the work was not short term or that the employment would stop. Client has three months wage slips of FT work 2 months after date of decision to current period and is still employed same employer.  but these facts are not relevant and cannot be taken into account as they occur after the date under appeal.