Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

New style ESA claim form now available online!!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

After a mere three years or so of requesting this, the ESA1 for new-style ESA is now available on gov.uk - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance-esa-claim-form

It instructs you to book a ‘new claim’ appointment at your jobcente and take the form to the appointment

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 229

Hi Daphne,

The NSESA claim pack going online is good news.

But would you believe it?

The new webpage also contains signposting to this link -
“Check you’re eligible for new style ESA before you apply”
https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/types-of-esa
- that says there are 3 types of ESA including -

“Contribution-based ESA

You can only apply for contribution-based ESA if you have an illness or disability that affects your ability to work, and you either:

get the severe disability premium
  got the severe disability premium within the last month and you’re still eligible for it

You’ll also need to have been an employee or self-employed and paid National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years. National Insurance credits can also count.”

Would you be able to raise this?

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1411

What’s incorrect about that?

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

While it’s good to see the form online the poor (ill) claimant still has to get through on the UC helpline to book their JobCentre appointment which the form says may last 80 minutes.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

Charles - 07 March 2019 04:51 PM

What’s incorrect about that?

It might be more helpful to explain why it’s (mostly) correct.

I think the confusion is probably around the fact that you have to be getting IR-ESA* to get an SDP, so where does C-ESA come into it? The answer is that getting IR-ESA or HB with an SDP doesn’t stop you getting C-ESA, or NI credits. So the SDP Gateway restriction applies equally to IR-ESA and C-ESA.

But I think it’s wrong to say “the SDP” because the regs say “an SDP” - and any SDP will do.

*or IB-JSA, IS, or HB

Charles
forum member

Send message

I mostly agree. I would only add that if you’re getting IR-ESA then you can get C-ESA even if you’re not entitled to an SDP.

I think the government refer to ‘the’ SDP because they look at all the disability-related premiums as being discrete from the various income-related benefits. See this whole guide, for example: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Send message

Charles - 08 March 2019 11:35 AM

I mostly agree. I would only add that if you’re getting IR-ESA then you can get C-ESA even if you’re not entitled to an SDP.

But if you’re already getting IR-ESA and you’re entitled to C-ESA then you should already be getting C-ESA, no? I think the page is about when you can apply for the different types of ESA.

So if you were getting C-ESA and IR-ESA without an SDP and the ESA stopped, your next claim would have to be for UC/new style ESA/JSA.

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 229

Hi,

It was’nt just the reference on the gov.uk linking reciept of the severe disability premium to old style CBESA eligibility.

Given the full roll-out of UC, is it still possible to make a new claim for old style CBESA?

Gov.uk says - “You can only apply for contribution-based ESA ...”

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Send message

The short answer is, yes.

For example, if you were working and claiming HB with an SDP, and then gave up work to claim ESA, it would* be C-ESA.

Edit: *depending on the NI situation, obviously

[ Edited: 8 Mar 2019 at 01:58 pm by Timothy Seaside ]
Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Ken Butler - 08 March 2019 12:37 PM

Given the full roll-out of UC, is it still possible to make a new claim for old style CBESA?

Gov.uk says - “You can only apply for contribution-based ESA ...”

Yes.I have done one recently - although it took some persuading ESA claim line that an SDP actually existed under HB and claimant was therefore permitted to claim ESA (indeed required to claim) rather than UC.

Charles
forum member

Send message

Timothy Seaside - 08 March 2019 12:19 PM

But if you’re already getting IR-ESA and you’re entitled to C-ESA then you should already be getting C-ESA, no? I think the page is about when you can apply for the different types of ESA.

I was thinking of a case where C-ESA ended due to time-limiting, but IR-ESA continued. In such a case later entitlement to C-ESA (if claimant’s condition deteriorates, and they have LCWRA) can restart despite not having an SDP.
It is of course more common the other way round, where someone who only has as an award of C-ESA becomes entitled to IR-ESA.

So if you were getting C-ESA and IR-ESA without an SDP and the ESA stopped, your next claim would have to be for UC/new style ESA/JSA.

Yes, agreed.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

FOI response to Martin at CPAG confirming that anyone can claim new-style ESA in writing and the process for doing so -

A Claim for New Style Employment and Support Allowance made in writing does not involve the claimant actually sending the claim form to an appropriate office. Instead, as directed by the New Style Claim form, having completed the form they must then book an appointment with their local Jobcentre and take the completed form to that appointment. If instead of going directly to GOV.UK and downloading the form, they have telephoned for a claim form, then the appointment is booked at that time. If the claimant cannot attend the Jobcentre because of health issues, then a home visit can be arranged. This is what is meant by “a properly completed claim is received in an appropriate office”.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

We are still getting cases in which DWP, having been posted a claim form by the claimant, refuses to process the claim because it has not been submitted in accordance with their ‘process’ set out on gov.uk

As far as I can see, that ‘process’ and the reply to Martin’s FoI ignores or shimmies round the C&P Regulations by insisting upon a Jobcentre appointment before the claim is seen to be made (not stated in the FoI reply but implied)

I disagree with this and I’d appreciate the views of others. If a written claim is made in accordance with the C&P Regs I don’t think DWP can insist that the claim is not made until there is an appointment, which is what they have been telling us. As far as i can see, that applies to JSA but not to ESA.

The appointment is helpful of course and the claimant must supply further evidence etc as required but I don’t think this affects the validity of the claim or the date of claim, whereas DWP’s current practice means that it does.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 509

I totally agree Andrew.