to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

NHS travel costs

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I’ve just been made aware that there’s an -apparently new- scheme where JCP pay NHS travel costs.

The HC5(T) claim form demands that it is sent to JCP but which one and how would one follow it up?

Answers onna postcard and all that.

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

I’m not sure how new it is. I think it’s the NHS, rather than DWP which pays. If you are getting a relevant benefit (or have an HC2/3 because of low income) then you can usually get your transport paid by asking at the hospital when you arrive - although in my experience this only applies where the patient has a receipt (so it’s mostly for bus or train travel). The HC5(T) can be used after the event, and is particularly helpful if you’ve travelled by car.

I think the simple answer to your question is that it’s the claimant’s “local Jobcentre Plus office”. But you send it direct to the NHS BSA in Newcastle if you’ve got an HC2/3 (and you can send an HC1 with it if you haven’t already got an HC2/3). I don’t know how you’d chase it up - my clients don’t seem to have any problems with the system.

There’s a webpage about the travel costs scheme which is really helpful:-
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/healthcare-travel-costs-scheme-htcs/

[ Edited: 6 Mar 2019 at 12:28 pm by Timothy Seaside ]
Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

Dan Manville - 05 March 2019 04:27 PM

I’ve just been made aware that there’s an -apparently new- scheme where JCP pay NHS travel costs.

The HC5(T) claim form demands that it is sent to JCP but which one and how would one follow it up?

Answers onna postcard and all that.

The form says “send this form to your local Jobcentre Plus office”. You should be able to find that using https://find-your-nearest-jobcentre.dwp.gov.uk/ but that may not always yield a result and it when it does it only gives the real address - not the mail handling centre address that post is supposed to be sent to. When I tried it using the postcode for a house I have just inherited it says “0 offices found”!!!