to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Length Of Appointeeship

Billy
forum member

Welfare rights - Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Hi we are dealing with a vulnerable client who has an appointee. The client has made a joint claim with somebody unknown to the appointee which the DWP paid. When the appointee queried it the DWP have told her that the appointeeship only last 5 years and has run out. They did not relinquish the appointeeship it just ran out. Has anybody heard of this I cannot find anything ?

Cheers in advance

[ Edited: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:20 am by Billy ]
MickD
forum member

Welfare Rights Derbyshire County County

Send message

Total Posts: 101

I had never noticed this before but there is a short paragraph in the Disability Rights Handbook on page 310 which states that appointments are reviewed every eight years for working-age and every five years for pension-age claimants.  This may be happening but I have never come across it.  The agents, appointees, attorneys, deputies and third parties guide mentions reviews but no time scales, I think.  The review procedure does not appear to be underpinned by legislation.  In short, the DWP appear to have set themselves targets to review but this surely cannot mean the appointment will lapse if they don’t.

Billy
forum member

Send message

Thanks Mick. DWP now telling us that the appointeeship for ESA/PIP etc. is not valid for UC and that a separate one is needed for UC. We have asked for guidance etc. I will post update as and when.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

also, one would have thought that they’d have a process in place to investigate - as a safeguarding issue - if a new appointee suddenly appeared with no explanation

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Billy. They’ve got a discrete process for approving appointees for UC. They can’t simply carry over from legacy, however send them a copy of the BF57 and that might be all they need; it’d be enough round these parts.

[ Edited: 20 Feb 2019 at 03:22 pm by Dan_Manville ]
Billy
forum member

Send message

Hi update , I asked for their policy/guidance etc. on why they needed a separate appointeeship and was told as UC is a digital service therefore clients may not need an appointeeship therefore if a new application is required a new BF56 not BF57 should be completed. Its is not UC responsibility to do this .  I have written back again asking for policy/guidance etc. and will escalate to our local MP.