Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Crowdfunding for money to help with treatment?

ub40worker
forum member

Welfare Team, Kensington and Chelsea CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 96

Hi all,

Just had a query from a client who wants to fundraise for future medical treatment- which is going to be private. He is on means tested benefit (CB ESA with a top up of IR ESA).

The client wants to know if this would be treated as income or capital for means tested benefits purposes?

Ta

ub40worker
forum member

Send message

I can’t see anything covering this in the DRH or CPAG? Please let me know if I am mistaken and if so direct us ta.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Unless it’s something that is explicitly disregarded in the regs, then I’d imagine it’s going to be taken into account as capital.

Jane O-P
forum member

Parkinson's UK

Send message

Total Posts: 55

If he can show that he was given the money specifically for that purpose and would have to return it if not used in that way then it can be disregarded - CPAG p481 2nd bullet point.  I guess it depends how the crowdfunding is structured, would he have an agreement with each funder regarding what they are giving him the money for and what happens eg if the treatment doesn’t happen?

ub40worker
forum member

Send message

Jane O-P - 11 February 2019 02:25 PM

If he can show that he was given the money specifically for that purpose and would have to return it if not used in that way then it can be disregarded - CPAG p481 2nd bullet point.  I guess it depends how the crowdfunding is structured, would he have an agreement with each funder regarding what they are giving him the money for and what happens eg if the treatment doesn’t happen?

Thanks Jane.