Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

When does a person cease being a “qualifying young person”?

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

I have given some advice to the parent of a 19 year old who is currently a qualifying young person for CHB and UC purposes. the course ends in a week or two. I instinctively said that she would remain to be considered as a QYP until the terminal date - the last day in February.

However, I had overlooked regulation 5 of the UC regulations, which contains its own UC specific definition of QYP.

As the only time limiting factor appears to be that the young person is enrolled on a course of education, is it the case that the young person is no longer a QYP form the day immediately after the course finishes?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

Brian JB - 07 February 2019 02:56 PM

I have given some advice to the parent of a 19 year old who is currently a qualifying young person for CHB and UC purposes. the course ends in a week or two. I instinctively said that she would remain to be considered as a QYP until the terminal date - the last day in February.

However, I had overlooked regulation 5 of the UC regulations, which contains its own UC specific definition of QYP.

As the only time limiting factor appears to be that the young person is enrolled on a course of education, is it the case that the young person is no longer a QYP form the day immediately after the course finishes?

UC entitlement to a child element for the 19-year old child ends when the course ends. If they were the only child in the UC claim the parents will also lose their work allowance (unless one of them has LCW). The child will be able to claim UC themselves from that date although the family unit (parents plus child) will almost always be worse off as a result.

[ Edited: 8 Feb 2019 at 11:20 am by Jeremy Barker ]
Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Thanks Jeremy much appreciated