to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Advice on new UC claim

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

My client (mum) has 3 children and receives CTC & CHB. Father claiming DLA for one child and CA. Also ESA for himself & partner. HB/CTS in fathers name. He has now been sectioned so my client is just left with CTC and CHB. They are splitting up and she needs to claim UC in her own right as a carer. As the CA is paid to the husband, will she be able to claim as a carer? HB, CA and ESA still in payment to partner.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

If he is no longer providing 35 hours of care the husband is no longer entitled to the CA anyway although I know it can be difficult getting CA stopped unless the claimant does it themselves.

If husband is receiving CA she cannot receive the carer element for caring for the same person.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661570/admf6.pdf
SeeF6012.

CDV Adviser
forum member

Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 493

Thanks lanb, Do you think the DWP would accept her as a carer for the purposes of conditionality? She can live without the premium but I’m worried the JCP will expect her to be jobseeking.

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

She won’t meet the conditions for no work related activity group as she’s not entitled to Carers Allowance or excluded from Carers Allowance by her earnings. She will be in all work related requirements, so could be required to look for work but work coach should take circumstances into account. If she can explain her situation and provide evidence then requirements could be reduced down to something nominal.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Ianb - 07 February 2019 09:10 PM

If he is no longer providing 35 hours of care the husband is no longer entitled to the CA anyway although I know it can be difficult getting CA stopped unless the claimant does it themselves.

If husband is receiving CA she cannot receive the carer element for caring for the same person.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661570/admf6.pdf
SeeF6012.

Is he not simply having one of the allowed breaks in care?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Ianb - 07 February 2019 09:10 PM

you can say that again.  one of my neighbours is known to be getting carers for what he has said is the 35 hours a week care he provides his son.  he hasn’t actually provided any care for the son for years - the wife and kids left due to DV some years ago.  despite the wife telling DWP this several times, he’s still getting it, she tells me…. gah.  the same man is getting other things i know he’s not entitled to (being as he is my neighbour and to be seen walking about quite happily with no restrictions on mobility).  the only person i’ve ever been tempted to dib in myself (i DO KNOW him….aarrrggghhhh)

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Mike Hughes - 08 February 2019 09:28 AM

Didn’t think of that. Guess it would depend on whether he is likely to resume caring - which doesn’t sound all that likely.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Ianb - 08 February 2019 10:57 AM
Mike Hughes - 08 February 2019 09:28 AM

Didn’t think of that. Guess it would depend on whether he is likely to resume caring - which doesn’t sound all that likely.

Will turn on the facts. Seen plenty of people sectioned for very short periods over the years.