Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

PC and UC?

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 318

HI
I have just had a query relating to a couple that appear to be getting both SPC (GCr) and UC?? the PC is being taken into account as income. I didn’t think it was possible to get two means tested benefits at the same time. I know that for ESA for example, it might state, not be entitled to JSA, or income support as a basic criteria, but I cant see anything for UC that states this.

The income has nilled out UC This is causing issues with CTR who are not treating the PC as a passport benefit - but are taking UC AIF into account (which of course includes PC)  this cannot be right surely?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

We’ve seen a few of these.

If there’s no UC in payment though, how can there be a UC claim? Why not simply close the UC claim because there can’t even be an overpayment?

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 318

I think that’s what they have done now (cant see what possible advantage there is to claiming UC but I think it was to do with SMI) but because there was a claim (still open), UC sent income details through to LA for the CTR claim (they are owner occupiers) and they have used UC AIF which has nilled out CTR (I haven’t seen the calc as I am just assisting someone else) but there is an argument that PC is a passport to full CTR surely?  The issue is more to do with how LA is treating income for CTR I think - thank you for your reply Paul