to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

UC Housing Costs when HB stopped and under appeal

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 325

I was wondering what could happen in this scenario: client is considering making a new claim for UC.  His HB has been stopped, due to dispute about his income (Company Director) and there has been an overpayment decision. Client has appealed.
Would UC Housing Costs be impacted by his HB situation?
I tried to look through ADM and RN but no luck.

Thanks!

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Don’t see why not. The claim for UC will have put an end date on his HB award (i.e. if he wins his appeal. he will only get HB up to the day before he claimed UC) so I don’t see what relevance an appeal would have.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

Of course there is every chance DWP will take an equally harsh view of his income from the company, and then he will be no further forward except he’ll have two appeals on the go instead of one.  If that happens my personal view would be that the appeals should be linked and heard together but I know many advisers prefer to hedge in these situations.

There is a slight difference in the way UC treats company owners compared with HB as well.

Generally, company directors terrify the heck out of benefit decision makers and you can find huge variations in approach.  Probably nothing to lose from claiming UC.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 325

Cool, thanks very much guys.
Yeah, read up on company directors and UC, and it’s a bit of a mess, isn’t it.