to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

EEA Worker status - work “genuine and effective”

EmmaK
forum member

Citizens Advice, Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Does anyone have any experience of successfully challenging DWP over UC claimant’s right to reside where it has been refused due to the level of work not being considered “genuine and effective”?

Client is EEA national and working 12 hrs per week, earning £100 per week.  No other income.  Has been working for 3 months with written contract and regular work pattern.

I’d be interested to hear what people’s experience has been.

DebbieS
forum member

Reading Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Yes. I’ve successfully challenged several cases where DWP have turned down claims because the client has not been earning at the minimum earning threshold or above (currently £162pw). DWP are consistently failing to apply the second stage of their own 2 stage test ie if client doesn’t pass the MET, look at the situation as a whole. This is in direct contradiction of their own guidance:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/687074/admc1.pdf

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 222

Yes, definitely challenge. DWP treat it as a fixed concept, but it is of course a lot more flexible than that. They can also make a new claim to see if that is successful as well as appealing.

EmmaK
forum member

Citizens Advice, Rotherham

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Thanks both for your feedback.  Really helpful.

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Just had a EEA client working just short of 30 hours a week. He has been employed since 2016 by the same employer. Was on WTC CTC no problem. Went on holiday for 3 to 4 weeks with employers consent. He had to claim UC on return and now has a decision to state his work is not genuine and effective, (which must mean it is marginal and ancillary), and was refused. His partner works 18 hours a week.  This is a new level of ‘decision making’ even by these, but could mark a policy with UC re EEA claimants as it is not clear what such a poor decision is based on legally.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

ikbikb - 14 January 2019 12:52 PM

but could mark a policy with UC re EEA claimants as it is not clear what such a poor decision is based on legally.

thought it was common that UC decisions don’t cite law, don’t refer to law and don’t appear to know law?

DebbieS
forum member

Reading Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Not quite the same but I’m seeing an EEA client tomorrow, four years working in the UK and failed the HRT. The mandatory reconsideration notice has no date on it…......

Timothy Seaside
forum member

Housing services - Arun District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 539

DebbieS - 14 January 2019 04:17 PM

Not quite the same but I’m seeing an EEA client tomorrow, four years working in the UK and failed the HRT. The mandatory reconsideration notice has no date on it…......

Does it have a name on it? Is it signed by the ghost of governmental fair play and decency? Seriously though, if you don’t put a date on a document it’s easier to fabricate an alibi later on, when somebody tries to hold you to account for your wrongs.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1116

It is all a bit random isn’t it?

I’ve been referred a client who was refused UC in October on the basis of no right to reside. On the facts (Italian father who has worked continuously in UK since December 1993 when client was born, German mother who worked in UK 1993 - 2000 when she departed UK for Germany with client, client returns UK February 2008) I think it is likely client has a permanent right of residence as dependent of qualified person (father) in the 5 years prior to her turning 21. So I get the client to make a new claim just before Christmas to allow me to request the MR and to do this via a journal entry…..

The client is on a zero hours contract - her earnings for October 2018 average £81.57 p/w, for November 2018 £77.70 p/w and December 2018 £104.43 p/w. Decision on the new claim? Client has a right to reside as a worker…....