Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Two Child Policy - government responds to consultation and confirms April 2017 start

< 1 2 3

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I haven’t heard anything about an extension and I think unlikely as full roll-out finishes next week - but so long as those families get on tax credits now they will be OK and transitionally protected when eventually migrated over. Of course no good for those who their leave granted after 31 january…

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Having checked CPAG page 1543 though - tax credit claims can be backdated to date of application for asylum so if, at this date, your area wasn’t full service UC the claim can be backdated. However, I don’t know if this would work if your area was full service at that date but you wouldn’t have been able to claim tax credits then because of having three or more children - anyone?

[ Edited: 5 Dec 2018 at 01:14 pm by Daphne ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

stuart - 29 October 2018 09:52 AM

Update to the Welfare Reform Act 2012 regulations page on gov.uk for 29 October provides details of the Secretary of State’s determination to extend the interim period for redirecting claims with 3+ children to 31 January 2019.

Baroness Buscombe has said in the Lords this morning that: 

“I can say that we are looking at the [two-child] policy with regard to the extension of the policy, which is due to take place from next month”

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/d6efcaa3-59d9-44ac-bc32-e8db032685d2?in=11:30:18

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

“Maybe things that were were proposed previously weren’t effective or weren’t compassionate in the way that I want them to be. So I’m going to be perfectly bold about making those changes where I need to.”

[Rudd] added: “I’m not accepting that it wasn’t compassionate in the first place. It was. I’m just reinforcing that.”

Eh???????

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

I think she means “I’m a team player. I don’t publicly trash the work of my swivel eyed far right colleagues. I have to find a way of saying that I am continuing their admirable work while simultaneously binning it or altering it beyond recognition.”

Unfortunately she will probably move on in three months like all the others.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1955

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/11/benefits-freeze-likely-to-end-in-2020-says-amber-rudd

ttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/11/amber-rudd-work-and-pensions-secretary-universal-credit-children-poverty

UC to go to main carer….easing (a bit) of the two-child rule…..changes to private rent payments…..vague promise of an end to the freeze….

Meanwhile on R4 just now, Alok Sharma continued to brag about UC’s success, but perhaps without some of his customary elan.

He was asked ‘How can you get it so wrong for so long?’ - no sensible reply followed.

And he also wouldn’t rule out an appeal against the JR they just lost.

Look chaps: how many wheels does this ‘simple’ system have? Because they keep coming off.

It’s still not too late to abolish the whole shooting-match.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Andrew Dutton - 11 January 2019 02:01 PM

Look chaps: how many wheels does this ‘simple’ system have? Because they keep coming off.

It hasn’t got any more wheels left, its just taking an ever increasing effort to drag it through the desert at an ever decreasing pace as individual MP’s, committee’s, the courts etc keep placing more and more items onto the wagon.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Responding to the removal of the two child limit in universal credit for children born before 6/4/17 the IFS makes observation that -

This tackles the ‘retrospective’ application of the policy that had attracted criticism, and it means that the full impact of the policy will not be felt until the mid-2030s. But that long-run impact remains unchanged: ultimately the two-child limit will, among those families affected by it, reduce their incomes by an average of £3,000 per year. This remains a major reform to our benefits system.