Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Short-term specified accommodation

Lostdog
forum member

Income Team, Framework

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Hi all,

Am I correct in saying the definition of short term specified accommodation is now irrelevant for the purposes of LAs administering HB? 

We have received a query from LA stating that, to be treated as short term specified accommodation, the accommodation should feature procedures to enable individuals to move on.  They refer to 2 years residency length as a cut-off for this definition.  We have a handful of residents in the area whose residencies have gone over 2 years.

I have found a circular (HB A4/2018) which shows requirement for LAs to keep records of short term specified accommodation units for the purposes of the planned change to funding of short-term specified accommodation.  Presumably this is the original root of the request.  But I understood a subsequent government announcement overturned this.  Is that correct?

Am I correct in saying that if accommodation were no longer treated as not being short-term (i.e. residencies over 2 years in duration), this doesn’t preclude it from being treated as specified (exempt) accommodation?  i.e. treating as <2 year or >2 year duration is irrelevant - specified accommodation is not necessarily short term in nature, and the duration of residency is irrelevant for the administration of HB and the exemptions that specified accommodation affords (from bedroom tax, UC housing costs, rent restrictions etc)

Thanks

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2895

Yes, you are absolutely right.  Short term supported accommodation is a statistical category invented for the purpose of the recent funding review.  Long term specified accommodation continues to attract HB as opposed to UC - the textbook case is supported living.

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

As far as I am aware LA’s are continuing to be required monitor this, so they, the LA, will need this information.

I guess, the results could impact, in future, on projects, and the LAs funding of projects, that is if the Government ever come up with a new model.

Lostdog
forum member

Income Team, Framework

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Thanks both for your useful feedback.