Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Can a Tribunal increase the length of time of award? 

Terry Craven
forum member

Hope Advice Centre, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 85

I have a client who has a litany of problems including, COPD, OA, heart problems,  sleep apnoea and mental health problems. He was turned down on migration for PIP. The evidence and clinical findings of the HCP did not support her conclusions. After a MR my client was awarded standard rate of both components. However, this is subject to an appeal.
The MR decision resulted in the award until June 2020, which effectively means my client will receive his renewal form in June next year. This could be received before the hearing. If not does the Tribunal have the power to increase the length of award?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

In short, yes.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

The Tribunal can make any decision the DM might have made. On a PIP claim, the DM gets to choose the length of the award. So yes, if the appeal goes ahead the Tribunal gets to decide how long the award will be.

Hypothetically, an appeal could be run solely arguing that a longer term or indefinite award is appropriate although I doubt this happens too often.

See also RS v SSWP (PIP) [2016] UKUT 85 (AAC).

C.f. ESA where the length of an award is not part of the decision because the award is indefinite.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I have that hypothetical case right now 😊

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

have run several appeals specifically on the length of PIP award - life long conditions (i.e. pre-lingual deafness) where indefinite award under DLA but fixed term only (at an appropriate rate) following migration to PIP - award period without end allowed in every case.

In several of those case clients were aged 65+ and the decision was actually a PIP re-assessment decision following the original migration decision (2 or 3 yr award only). Are DWP really intending to regularly re-assess PIP claimants into their 70s, 80s, 90s etc?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Peter Turville - 12 December 2018 04:28 PM

have run several appeals specifically on the length of PIP award - life long conditions (i.e. pre-lingual deafness) where indefinite award under DLA but fixed term only (at an appropriate rate) following migration to PIP - award period without end allowed in every case.

In several of those case clients were aged 65+ and the decision was actually a PIP re-assessment decision following the original migration decision (2 or 3 yr award only). Are DWP really intending to regularly re-assess PIP claimants into their 70s, 80s, 90s etc?

Hopefully not Peter, although this announcement got a bit lost at the bottom of another piece of news.

the Secretary of State also announced that the ‘light touch’ 10 year review policy, which is in place for new claimants of personal independence payment who require the highest level of support, will be extended to existing claims.

DWP launches new Intensive Personalised Employment Support programme

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3129

Mike Hughes - 10 December 2018 06:42 PM

I have that hypothetical case right now :)

have run several appeals specifically on the length of PIP award

Well, point taken!

Oldestrocker
forum member

Principal - Forensic Accountants, Canterbury

Send message

Total Posts: 100

It would seem so. I have seen many indefinite High DLA awards for both components change to PIP Enhanced both components be given periods ranging from 3 to 5 years. One case of a 70 year old lady is looking at her 4th face to face assessment next year!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3548

Written answer yesterday says the light touch process ‘has yet to be fully designed’ as ‘the first ones will not be due until 2023’.

[ Edited: 2 Jul 2019 at 01:29 pm by Daphne ]