to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

IB and LCWRA component

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Client has been on IB for 23 years.  Made claim for UC in April this year.  No LCWRA paid.  Have to assume this is correct as no assessment of LCW/WRA on IB
Assured by ESA today that migration is in process after ESA 50 in November 2017! , client has just been referred for WCA (domiciliary visit), so could be months before WCA decision
Questions are:
If client in SG then LCWRA will be paid (I assume) from date of migration decision.  Can we argue any kind of backdating to date of UC claim?
If in WRAG (although I think not) can we link claim back to before April 2017 to allow LCW element to be paid?
Can’t find anything helpful in CPAG or S&M
Meanwhile on UC, client has submitted 6 months med certs, no UC50 or WCA and no WRR ..
Thanks in anticipation….

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Reg 22 UC(Transitional Provisions) regs.

If a person migrates to UC from IB/IS then if they are found to have LCW/LCWRA on assessment then they are treated as having LCW/LCWRA from the outset of the UC claim, the elements can be paid from the first assessment period, the assessment phase does not apply.

The 6 month med3 should have triggered an immediate referral and UC50 but in my experience it rarely does. Ask them for a UC50 to get the ball rolling.

[ Edited: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:52 pm by Dan_Manville ]
unhindered by talent
forum member

Welfare Rights Team, Aberdeenshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 445

I’m finding folks with existing CBESA (as was) who are claiming UC also are being sent UC50’s.

One has been assessed by ESA as being in support group only a month ago yet still has to complete a UC50! What if the UC50 outcome is different from the ESA50??

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Contact UC by phone or journal and point this out - their own guidance M6195 Advice for Decision Makers -

Where
an award of UC is made to a claimant who was entitled to old style ESA on the relevant date (see M6191) and
before the relevant date, it had been determined that the claimant had, or was treated as having, LCWRA1 and
the assessment phase had ended
the claimant is treated as having LCWRA without the need for the WCA.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Thanks so much for that.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Another question - if it’s IRESA Support Group in place before claiming UC, do folk get to carry LCWRA forward in the same way as CBESA?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

Yes. The crucial point is that a WCA found LCWRA and that is what is carried forwards. It makes no difference whether it’s IR- or CB-ESA.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

Thank you - that’s what I thought. I can’t understand why people are getting UC50’s when they have already been assessed. I know they can review at any time but this appears to be an automatic process as it happens even when assessment was very recent. I’ve emailed the DWP partnership manager querying it.

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Are you encountering this problem even where UC is correctly paying the LCWRA? I’ve only seen it where the LCWRA is missing (they haven’t done the MGP1 properly). Unfortunately, even once the LCWRA is corrected, it seems that once the UC50 is issued it is too late to stop the new WCA and the client has to see it through. So far none of the clients I’ve seen in this position have actually lost out on the new WCA, in one case I was told the HCP seemed to know about the recently resolved LCWRA dispute and more or less rubber stamped the same award.

unhindered by talent
forum member

Send message

I’ve not got as far as UC correctly paying the LCWRA. These are cases where CBESA or IRESA Support group components were in payment immediately prior to a UC claim for Housing Costs. Jobcentre have asked for fit notes and sent out UC50’s. Most recently, a client queried in her journal whether she should complete the UC50 and was told she didn’t have to so that’s a step forward.