Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Paying off mortgage - effect on ESA (IR)

JojoMitchell
forum member

Disability Law Service, London

Send message

Total Posts: 290

Hi everyone

I’ve just taken a call from a client - she is on ESA (IR) and has a mortgage but no housing costs or SMI loan.  Her father is coming over from USA and there is a possibility that he will want to pay off her mortgage.  He is not planning on giving her the money to then pay the mortgage company and he could well do this without her knowledge.  I’ve checked the ESA Regs and cannot see how her benefit would be effected but of course the DWP could always state that she is depriving herself yet the payment would be a one off gift and would not necessarily involve her.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Mortgage is a debt so paying it off doesn’t count as deprivation, even if payment is not due until later. Only difficulty would be if she cannot prove that she owed the debt but it should be easy enough if she’s got paperwork.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3122

She can’t deprive herself of capital which isn’t hers. If her dad pays off the mortgage for her, then deprivation doesn’t even come into it. It was never her money, she never had any right to it or control over how it was spent.

JojoMitchell
forum member

Disability Law Service, London

Send message

Total Posts: 290

Thank you - just wanted to check that I wasn’t missing something!