Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Area moves to UCFS on 5/12/18 - HMRC refuse to send out tax credit claims

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Hi all,

My client lives in a post code that will become UCFS on 5/12/18.  She ordered a TC form yesterday online and today has received the following text:-

‘Subject: Re: STRF:**TCCF (KMM68248609I15977L0KM)
Reply-To: <kcmt.admin@notifications.hmrc.gov.uk>
Unfortunately we could not deal with your request for a tax credit claim form, because you are in a postcode area where Universal Credit applies FROM 05/12/2018

You can make your claim at http://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email, as this address does not accept incoming mail and your reply will be deleted.’

I was under the impression people could make claims until the change over date? 

EC

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3133

Yes you are correct that you can claim up to the date it becomes full service. That’s kind of the point of having a set date I suppose…

When it was getting close to the wire in our postcodes, they would let you do a claim over the phone. Its a much safer way of doing it.

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

EKS_COTTON - 26 November 2018 04:34 PM

Hi all,

My client lives in a post code that will become UCFS on 5/12/18.  She ordered a TC form yesterday online and today has received the following text:-

‘Subject: Re: STRF:**TCCF (KMM68248609I15977L0KM)
Reply-To: <kcmt.admin@notifications.hmrc.gov.uk>
Unfortunately we could not deal with your request for a tax credit claim form, because you are in a postcode area where Universal Credit applies FROM 05/12/2018

You can make your claim at http://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email, as this address does not accept incoming mail and your reply will be deleted.’

I was under the impression people could make claims until the change over date? 

EC

HAD EXACTLY THE SAME LAST WEEK, HOWEVER YOU CAN PUSH FOR A CLAIM BY PHONE AND THEY HAVE TO ACCEPT IT.

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Send message

Just some feedback - Keith right, she pushed for claim on phone and they are sending form to her.

Very worrying for those without access to advice.

EKS

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Emma - it might be worth checking if your client did actually make the claim over the phone - if they just sent a claim form out which is then received after go live date then it will be refused

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

As Daphne says, the claim should be taken over the phone when it is less than 21 days.

See the blog post we did on this: https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/blog/tax-credit-claim-forms-and-uc-roll-out

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Send message

many thanks all

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 770

One thing you could also do if they refuse to take claim over phone is send them a letter which contains all the information that would be requested in the form and also the declarations that would be on the form and ask them to treat that as a claim.