Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Reasons for decisions on housing costs

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 769

Hi,

I know there has previously been discussion about right to ask for reasons of a UC decision. Given the paucity of information on a payment notification about how housing costs have been worked out (no detail other than what claimant said rent was and what housing element is- so no way of knowing about LHA rate uses, bedroom number, non dependent deductions, apportionment between joint tenants etc).... asking for reasons is an obvious solution.

I was wondering whether anyone could share details of what information is given about how the housing element was calculated when reasons are requested?

Thanks

Martin

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

In my experience, no information at all. Requests for reasons/information get ignored or get told that it’s all on the payment breakdown. Complaint is ongoing and escalated to ICE.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

As Phillipa’s post above…....

One DWP response advised a client that she has to ‘phone the enquiry line, that is why they provide a phone number’, next to the payments bit (i.e.  it’s the same bit that says you can ask for a written statement).

The client in question has been having an amount of £ ...... deducted. She just wanted to know what its for and for how long will it be deducted.

We have shared case details with CPAG’s EWS.