to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DWP won’t pay SDP or explain why not

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I am scratching my head as to what to do next with this one and any advice welcome.

Lengthy PIP appeal that went to UTT and through various hoops before client finally awarded PIP which gave SDP entitlement back to 2015. DWP paid some of SDP but not all of it, no explanation ever given as to why not all of it, which periods they were paying for or whether any deduction for debt had been made, despite numerous requests and complaints. It just issued various random payments over a few months which worked out about £1500 short of the total owing.

I tried the usual escalation routes and Local Partnership Manager, none of which got anywhere. Consistent pattern of ring up and get promised a call back that never happened or write in and hear nothing in return. Eventually found a decision to appeal against and got it to tribunal. DWP did not acknowledge or respond to the tribunal in any way, it refused to answer directions notice explaining refusal or provide any docs at all. Tribunal has now issued a decision saying that claimant is entitled to SDP from the relevant date. Which no-one disputes but still DWP won’t pay up what is owed and won’t explain why not?

I have written to the MPs office but I’m not hopeful that he will take any interest. What else I can do? Where can I go with this now?

Thanks

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

Interesting. Pre-action letter to Caxton House. Pay-up or explain within 2 weeks or she’ll sue in the County Court* for the money which the Tribunal says is due.

*Insert Scottish equivalent here.

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 259

I would agree with Elliot. If you’ve got a decision from the Tribunal, that the DWP aren’t implementing, saying that the client is entitled to money between x and y dates then I’d issue a letter before action and then pursue via County Court if that doesn’t shake anything loose.

Geri-G
forum member

Welfare reform team - North Ayrshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 91

I agree with above-and a formal complaint for maladministration too. DWP hate complaints.If they don’t respond can got to Independent Case Examiner.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Thank you all, will do that.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

A note on complaint letters.

We used to struggle to get a reply to complaint letters from our District Manager’s office; it was viewed akin to a dead letter office by some here. I changed the approach when I started. I ended each letter with “if you don’t reply within 20 days I’ll escalate it” then escalated it after 20 days.

Now I get a reply to all my complaints…