Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC work allowance and council tax support

ClareNorrisCOP
forum member

COP Team, Penningtons Manches LLP, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi there just a quickie.

So under legacy benefits, if a person was doing ESA permitted work then because they were still entitled to income related ESA I took it for granted that HB and council tax support wouldn’t be affected because they were still entitled to a passporting benefit so to speak.

Anyways so under UC there is no permitted work but if a person was working under the work allowance of £409 a month then I just assumed the same kind of rules would apply, but when speaking to a local authority they informed me where a claimant was receiving UC if they received any other income, even if it was under the work allowance it would be taken into account as income and deducted from their council tax support.

Can someone just confirm if this is correct?

Many thanks!

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

It might be, but you need to get hold of the full details of the local authority’s own CTR scheme. They should state exactly what happens.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2906

A conventional CTR scheme does take into account earnings below the work allowance.  I have not yet seen one that doesn’t and I must have seen 100 now.  Even the more innovative CTR schemes seem to be conventional where UC is concerned.