to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP and AA

Sarah-B
forum member

Caseworker - Laura Pidcock MP

Send message

Total Posts: 71

Hello please can someone tell me what happens if you are waiting for a PIP appeal to be heard (not entitled to PIP but previously entitled to DLA Care and Mob) ... and you have in the meantime turned 65 and claimed AA.

Will the AA decision put an end-date on the period of PIP entitlement under consideration at the appeal, or will the PIP decision (if successful) override the AA enabling PIP Mobility to be paid?

Thanks

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Yes, the PIP claim will only be payable if successful on appeal up to the date that the AA claim is awarded from.

Sarah-B
forum member

Caseworker - Laura Pidcock MP

Send message

Total Posts: 71

Thanks Paul for confirming that.

jasonb
forum member

Lewes District CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Had a recent case, (a previous discussion) my cl was in receipt of PIP SR MC only, was reviewed and not awarded DLC or MC. Lodged appeal and as merit of higher rate AA but not PIP DLC ,made a AA claim.

Expected PIP appeal to become fixed time appeal if AA awarded. However AA unit refused to process AA claim if pending PIP appeal and only process if PIP appeal not allowed.

After consulting with client confirmed with AA unit that if PIP appeal withdrawn AA claim would be processed and backdated to date of claim.  Cl now in receipt of AA higher rate.

Your client will probably get a letter stating AA claim “with not be processed with outstanding PIP appeal, and only will be processed if PIP appeal unsuccessful.”

Ant
forum member

Welfare rights service - Lancashire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 15

I have a similar situation.

My cl has attempted to reclaim (within 12 months of award ending, reg 26) & has been refused because he wasn’t on either DLA or PIP in the previous 12 months. This is wrong , he was on DLA up to Jan18 but PIP seem to consider that you can link a new claim for PIP to DLA