to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

UC and mobile phone provision

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 63

Following attendance at a UC Stakeholder meeting yesterday, it was announced that JC+ will pay for an Android phone for an individual, “to enable them to make a UC claim”.

The cost of which, comes from the flexible support fund and is at the discretion of the work coach.

My understanding is, that this is aimed at vulnerable groups.

Has anyone had success with this, have any experience of it happening or know anymore about it ?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Keith S Adviser - 12 October 2018 02:24 PM

Following attendance at a UC Stakeholder meeting yesterday, it was announced that JC+ will pay for an Android phone for an individual, “to enable them to make a UC claim”.

The cost of which, comes from the flexible support fund and is at the discretion of the work coach.

My understanding is, that this is aimed at vulnerable groups.

Has anyone had success with this, have any experience of it happening or know anymore about it ?

and does that include the capital cost of the phone, the monthly rental, or is it going to be a bottom end PAYG that the person won’t be able to top up (assuming, of course, that they can work out how to use it, can read the screen, operate it generally…etc.)

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

To be honest I’m not entirely sure, it was announced tongue in cheek, but was obviously pounced upon by the majority of the representatives at the meeting. I was hoping to find out more from the forum.

Keith S Adviser
forum member

Kirkham CAB

Send message

Further information from a DWP partnership manager:

Hi Keith

The Flexible Support Fund (FSF) is something available to Work Coaches to enable them to break down barriers to work that their claimants may have.
The Work Coach will know their claimant and work with them identifying needs throughout the life of their claim.  Support could be given to funding ID, travel, clothing and many other things including a mobile phone if that is what the claimant needs.
Remember you don’t necessarily need a phone to make a claim as there is a wealth of IT provision across the Fylde Coast and in all Jobcentres.

Where a phone has been purchased through FSF this would be for a basic smartphone.  Wifi is available throughout our offices and across the Fylde Coast which will allow the individual to manage their UC account and utilise to help move into work more quickly.

Ultimately the decision on purchases through FSF rest with the Work Coach.