to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Pensions and Section 117

Martin
forum member

Homegroup

Send message

Total Posts: 32

Can anyone help with this query, I’m helping a couple and the husband has gone into care under section 117.
My query relates to his works pension, would this just add to his capital or would his wife have any entitlement to it whilst his alive.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Martin - 26 September 2018 09:05 AM

My query relates to his works pension, would this just add to his capital or would his wife have any entitlement to it whilst his alive.

it’s his pension, not his wife’s.

Do you mean, can his wife get it paid to her?  one wouldn’t have thought so.  she’ll perhaps have an entitlement to a widow’s benefit if the scheme provides for them after he’s died, but otherwise, i’m not sure what you could mean?

Martin
forum member

Homegroup

Send message

Total Posts: 32

I told the wife she had no entitlement to husbands pensions whilst he is still alive. However she was told different by somebody for local authority, sometimes you doubt yourself and it’s best to double check

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3207

Maybe they are getting confused with rules around couples whereby the person who is resident in a care home can pass over 50% of a private pension to their partner who remains living at home?

As this is sec.117 aftercare, can’t see that’s an issue here.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

and anyway if they have a joint account into which his pension is paid, she can spend it anyway LOL

are you concerned about means testing?  as paul says, S117 there shouldn’t be an issue but if it transpires that he does have to contribute then that’s another thing altogether….