Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Design problem with telephone claims

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Hi

This may well be an issue for stakeholders.

As we know; if someone makes a telephone claim they are assigned a contingency email address. They are not given that address and have no access to it.

If that person then loses their log in details, they are asked first for the email address but they can’t provide it.

Catch 22?

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Dan Manville - 09 August 2018 11:16 AM

Hi

As we know; if someone makes a telephone claim they are assigned a contingency email address. They are not given that address and have no access to it.

If that person then loses their log in details, they are asked first for the email address but they can’t provide it.

Catch 22?

i should say so!

zoeycorker
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit - Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 88

oh seriously ? !
just for information because I’ve not had to do this yet - what is the telephone number for UC claims?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

zoeycorker - 10 August 2018 10:19 AM

just for information because I’ve not had to do this yet - what is the telephone number for UC claims?

Dial the usual helpline opt 2 then 6 for “anything else” then stamp your foot and insist they take one. They’re reluctant to. It took me more than 2 hours to get the account set up; the first step in making the claim, earlier this week due to an admin error on their part.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

Dan Manville - 09 August 2018 11:16 AM

Hi

Catch 22?

I’ve sent an email to them…

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

They’ve come back to me and say that the contingency email method should only be used if the person will not be able to manage their claim online and therefore the issue of needing to log on and need the email address should not apply.

Where a person will be able to manage the claim online with support, they should be helped to set up an email address and do the online claim at the jobcentre or other agency.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 29 August 2018 04:25 PM

They’ve come back to me and say that the contingency email method should only be used if the person will not be able to manage their claim online and therefore the issue of needing to log on and need the email address should not apply.

Where a person will be able to manage the claim online with support, they should be helped to set up an email address and do the online claim at the jobcentre or other agency.

They’ve made a rod for their own back then.

I went to do a reclaim for someone yesterday who’d failed to attend an ID appointment. During the reclaim process; there was still an active account, it went through the email verifiaction process again. So someone with no support makes a telephone claim, needs to reclaim, finds support but that support can’t assist as they don’t know the contingency email address.

People who’ve made telephone claims are permanently locked out of accessing the online facility unless they create a new account and a new email address. If they are trying to protect appeal rights or keep business going on an old claim that will be difficult.