× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

rightsnet world cup predictor game

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3773

Yay ...... it’s here ..... our 2018 World Cup predictor game ....

- Entry is free (one entry per person) .. you just need to have a rightsnet registration
- Deadline is 4 o’clock on Thursday (when the first match kicks off)
- No football knowledge is required (and will probably be an advantage!)
- £40 for first place, and £20 for the runner-up

Game on: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/rightsnetWC2018

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Also from the Trussell Trust:

During summer, many foodbanks struggle with low food stocks, yet the need for emergency food to support people in crisis remains.

You can help food stocks last and have a little fun during the World Cup by taking part in World Cup Foodbank Bingo. Simply download the World Cup Bingo sheet, follow the matches and donate when one of the events in the squares takes place.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-involved/world-cup-foodbank-bingo/

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Hope nobody has already picked Spain to have a good tournament:

Julen Lopetegui sacked as Spain manager ...

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

shawn - 13 June 2018 11:26 AM

Hope nobody has already picked Spain to have a good tournament:

Julen Lopetegui sacked as Spain manager ...

Seemed rather against the spirit of things to pay any attention to actual football news before making picks!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

So, one game down (Russia having sneaked past Saudi Arabia) .... and the first points have been awarded (4 points for those that predicted more than 4 goals)

Here’s a list of all the entries for your weekend enjoyment ....

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/rightsnet_2018_world_cup_predictor.pdf

Mo Salah’s up next at lunchtime ...

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

So we have our first sending off ... take a bow Colombia’s Sanchez (.... about time for those like me who went BIG on the number of red cards!!)

Ps - the shirt number of the first scorer in the whole comp was 8 (Russia’s Gazinskiy) .. so we just now need to wait on the scorer of the last goal .... (I’m not sure I thought about whether there could be a penalty shoot-out in the final ... so maybe let’s agree that it includes the scorer of the last penalty in that eventuality)

Pps - will Mo Salah get off the mark this evening?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

We’re now halfway ... 32 games have been played, and everyone has played twice ... a quick update -

- 85 goals have been scored
- there have been 2 red cards
- in the race to be the worst team: Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Morocco, Peru, Costa Rica, South Korea, Tunisia, Panama, and Poland are all yet to score a point ...... but Panama have a minus 8 goal difference, and Saudi Arabia minus 6
- in the dirtiest team contest .... Colombia have a straight red card and 2 yellows; Germany have one yellow/red card and 4 yellows; whilst Croatia and Serbia have 6 yellows each
-  it’s Mo Salah’s last game today ... currently on one goal only ......

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

So, Mo finished on 2 goals .....

Here’s an updated set of scores so far .... only 4 people have picked up points for predicting both that there’d be more than 4 goals in the first game (4 points) and that Mo would only score 2 (5 points)

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/rightsnet_2018_world_cup_predictor.pdf

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3117

I was wandering around the Quayside yesterday evening and heard some bloke excitedly telling his mate on the phone that South Korea had beaten Germany and knocked them out of the World Cup. Thought he was kidding!

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

Don’t mention the VAR!!!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Elliot Kent - 28 June 2018 07:46 AM

I was wandering around the Quayside yesterday evening and heard some bloke excitedly telling his mate on the phone that South Korea had beaten Germany and knocked them out of the World Cup. Thought he was kidding!

Looks like only 11 people didn’t have Germany in their predicted last 4!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

So, with all the group games now having been played, we have a most rubbish team .... step forward Panama with 0 points and a minus 9 goal difference ...

Congratulations to the 41 people who got that one right .... 10 BIG points each!

Here’s the update: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/rightsnet_2018_world_cup_predictor.pdf

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

I’m beginning to hope there’ll be a prize for the most rubbish predictor…

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3196

ROBBO - 29 June 2018 01:33 PM

I’m beginning to hope there’ll be a prize for the most rubbish predictor…

/\/\/\ this….

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 869

another few points for me coming when lustig scores the winning goal in his next match.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

stevenmcavoy - 04 July 2018 01:31 PM

another few points for me coming when lustig scores the winning goal in his next match.

You’re (both) banned!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44712414

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Send message

shawn - 04 July 2018 02:50 PM

You’re (both) banned!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44712414

heard on the radio he was banned on the way in after i posted this!

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

So ...... everyone okay and sufficiently recovered from last night’s excitement?!

A little update now that we’re heading towards the quarter finals on Friday and Saturday .....

- Spain’s demise and England’s progress has seen rather many more predictions go by the wayside!

- in other news, with 8 games left, we now have had: 4 red cards; 3 games into extra time; and 146 goals

- in the dirtiest team contest: Colombia and Switzerland are out in front with 9 yellows and 1 red each (14 points) but are both out of the competition ... of the teams still left in, Croatia have got 8 yellows (8 points);  Russia has 5 yellows and a yellow/red (8 points); and France and Sweden have got 6 yellows (6 points).

Here’s the latest updated predictions doc: https://rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/rightsnet_2018_world_cup_predictor_july_4_update.pdf

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

It’s such a shame that Scotland didn’t qualify…I could really do with some points and if Scotland had made it, predicting the worst team of the tournament would have been a nice easy way of getting them

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Send message

Billy Durrant - 04 July 2018 04:44 PM

It’s such a shame that Scotland didn’t qualify…I could really do with some points and if Scotland had made it, predicting the worst team of the tournament would have been a nice easy way of getting them

didn’t the world cup winners elect recently draw with Scotland :D

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

Special plaudits to the predictors who have already got all of the last four completely wrong.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Don’t say it’s true ...... only 3 matches left ( ...... plus the 3rd place play-off!!)

- last 4 teams: for some reason, no one picked Croatia to be one of the last 4 standing ... congratulations though to the 12 people who picked 2 of the last 4 ...

- everything crossed tomorrow (!!) for the 15 people who predicted England would get to the semi-final but no further (no one predicted an appearance in the final)

- in other news, we’ve now had: 4 red cards; 4 games into extra time; and 157 goals

meanwhile, in the dirtiest team contest: Colombia (who 3 people have got) and Switzerland (who no people got) are still leading the way, both got 9 yellows and 1 red (14 points) but are both out of the competition ... of the teams still left in, Croatia (2 picks) have got 12 yellows (12 points); France (1 pick) have got 8 yellows (8 points), Belgium (0 picks) have got 7 yellows (7 points) and England (4 picks) have 5 yellows (5 points) .........

Here’s the latest updated predictions doc: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/rightsnet_2018_world_cup_predictor_july_10_update.pdf

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Looking at that I think I’m a contender for the wooden spoon!

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3537

I think you’re being unfair on yourself Dan - you have two correct answers (the same as me so I consider that quite good!). There are people in there - and I wouldn’t like to name and shame them - who, to date, haven’t got a single correct answer…

However, it’s not over till the final whistle I’ve heard…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Daphne - 10 July 2018 03:27 PM

I think you’re being unfair on yourself Dan - you have two correct answers (the same as me so I consider that quite good!). There are people in there - and I wouldn’t like to name and shame them - who, to date, haven’t got a single correct answer…

However, it’s not over till the final whistle I’ve heard…

As a non-participant this is most interesting.

Firstly I shall be reporting the provider of the red/green colour scheme for lack of appreciation of basic colour blindness issues. In the bad books on that one along with FIFA :)

Secondly, there are people taking part I actually thought were dead. I’d best not name names.

Thirdly, I find myself wondering whether such things are an accurate reflection of the ability to determine in advance how many ESA/PIP points a claimant ought to score? Hey, if Neil Couling and DWP can do random correlations then I’m having one too (or one two if we’re talking football).

ROBBO
forum member

Send message

I see nobody predicted England getting to the final.

Well done, everybody.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Yay ..... congrats to the 15 people who predicted England would get to the semi-final but no further

In the dirtiest team contest: Colombia (who 3 people have got) are now level with Croatia (2 picks) .... Colombia have 9 yellows and 1 red (14 points) but are out of the competition, and Croatia, who still have a game to go, have got 14 yellows (14 points) ...... meanwhile France (1 pick) have got 10 yellows (10 points) ...

- in other news, we’ve now had: 4 red cards; 5 games into extra time; and 161 goals

Lots to play for over the weekend, with points up for grabs for total red cards; shirt numbers of the first and last scorer (first scorer’s shirt number was 8 ...... Russia’s Gazinskiy); number of games into extra time; and what might happen in the final ......

[ Edited: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:51 am by shawn mach ]
shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

We have winners!

And so after:

- more than 4 goals in the opening game (Russia 5, Saudi Arabia 0) [4 pts]
- Mo Salah scoring just 2 goals [5 pts]
- Panama turning out to be the worst team [10 pts]
- England getting to the semi-final [6 pts]
- there being 4 sendings off [5 pts]
- the dirtiest team being Croatia [10 pts]
- the first goal scorer’s shirt number being 8 and the last being 17 (Russia’s Gazinskiy and Croatia’s Mandzukic) [5 pts]
- 5 games going into extra time [5 pts]
- the last 4 teams being England, France, Croatia and Belgium [2 pts each]
- in the final, there being a penalty; and more than 4 goals [6 pts and 4 pts]

.... it looks like this: https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/pdfs/rightsnet-WC2018-predictor-final-update.xlsx

It was a tight finish, with 5 points covering the top 10 entries, but congratulations to MBF86 who took first place by one point ahead of cggraham .... well done both (... we’ll be in touch with your winnings!)

Thanks everyone for taking part ..... let’s do it again next time ...

Cheers - Shawn