to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA suspension on PIP conversion

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

I’ve seen this a few times now. PIP conversion happens and ESA suspends automatically.

There is no lawful reason for the suspension and it happens to both IRESA and CESA only awards.

Is it just me? Especially now that it’s impossible to get through to JCp on the phone it’s more of an issue.

Thouhgts?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I have picked this up in a few other online fora I haunt and on social media. Not seen any clients with the issue but have reads loads of claimants complaining about it. At first I thought they were confused but… apparently not. I wondered whether it was connected to PIP mobility not being awarded at a level that would keep someone in the SG but it doesn’t even appear to be that.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Presenting officers love to tell us at appeal that PIP and ESA are different benefits and we cant use one to support the other. Cake and eat it springs to mind

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

benefitsadviser - 22 June 2018 02:52 PM

Presenting officers love to tell us at appeal that PIP and ESA are different benefits and we cant use one to support the other. Cake and eat it springs to mind

Stick and wrong end comes to mind ;) It’s when a new PIP award goes into payment on conversion from DLA that the ESA suspends.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

My guess would be that it is something to do with the automatic notification of disability benefits ending/starting (as I’ve been on about elsewhere) that causes them to suspend ESA and then forget to ‘unsuspend’ it again