to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC calculation completely wrong!

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

I think this is one for Neil Couling as an illustration of how UC is transforming peoples lives (and driving advisers mad with frustration).

Client is single made redundant late last year. lived of redundancy pay & claimed UC in April. Has a non dep son and a lodger in household. Her only income (aside from lodger) is a small occ. pen.

To be fair DWP have applied the correct standard allowance, otherwise - treated occ pen as earnings rather than other income as it is reported by employer to HMRC on RTI. Applied 25% bedroom tax (instead of 14%) iro lodger & son (instead of a HCC), treated the actual money lodger and son give her as ‘other income’ when it should be disregard. Giving a UC award of £nil when it should be £484.21!

2 months and no resolution, no response to MR, other posts on journal, requests for call back etc.

Oh and client wasn’t advised she could claim new style JSA but was given a £900 UC advance so has no UC in payment but a £900 debt to them.

Sigh

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Offered to help out a friend of a friend last year after being moved from legacy to full UC.

She was struggling, and I checked her award. She was 30 years of age but not getting full LHA rent paid, so was restricted to shared room rate. She got PIP SDL and lived alone without a carer so she was only getting half of her housing costs, paying the difference from her PIP. And the were only paying her £316 a month UC and missed the fact she was in the support group of ESA, so no LCWRA element. She was basically getting half of her entitlement for first 3 months of her claim until I spotted it and got it put right. How many others????